So what will be the standard?

  • Subject: So what will be the standard?
  • From: "Peter Hulst" <lists@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 19:43:11 -0000

I've been looking for a while to find the right home automation
protocol for my own system. But there are just too many different
implementations and too few standards. I like the sound of xap a lot,
and I understand that there are many developers very excited about
this, but am worried that its lifetime may be limited if no hardware
vendors will pick up this protocol.

What do people here think about the chances of xap as a standard in
commercial products? Microsoft's Upnp and SCP seem well thought
through, but also don't seem to be supported by anything other than
microsoft products.

I realize I am asking a group of biased people, but still want to ask
this: is there ever going to be a standard home automation protocol,
and if so, what will it be?
Can somebody shed any light on the differences between xap and upnp or
scp? If you were building a commercial home automation device, what
protocol would you bet on?

thanks
Peter