Re: BT landline based SMS service - SIN-413 anyone any experience of this ?

  • Subject: Re: BT landline based SMS service - SIN-413 anyone any experience of this ?
  • From: Kevin Hawkins <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 17:11:50 +0000

Patrick Lidstone (Personal E-mail) wrote:
> Yes, I have played with it briefly. There are third party units (such
as
> Magic Messenger http://www.magicmessenger.co.uk/)
which will allow you to
> send and receive SMS via a landline - they basically work as
advertised, and
> I believe incorporate a simple V23 modem (although I could be wrong).
> send an SMS, an outgoing call is initiated by the box, so I don't
think you
> would be able to send with a hacked caller id box, although receiving
may be
> possible?
Yes - I had assumed I would have to have a spare V23 modem to send
messages, but had hoped I might be able to get an incoming data stream
picked up by a hacked CID unit. Not sure yet if the packet is V23 and if
it is sent at the line reversal time though... interesting...

>  You should be able to test this by (a) setting up your landline to
> receive SMS by sending the appropriate register message in the SIN and
then
> (b) sending a text message from your mobile to your landline. (If you
don't
> register, you will get a digital dot ringing your landline and reading
out
> the message).
I've just been trying this and can successfully send TXT messages to my
mobile phone but 'digital dot' was the only way I was receiving them
back on the landline  - I was getting an incoming call from the 0800xxxx
number that was obviously expecting to transfer the txt (but it rang as
an incoming call) and then an 07953xxx voice message from 'digi dot'. I
think this may have been failing either due to the latency in
registering or because my sub addressing wasn't setup correctly. Anyway
- I just now received a proper TXT message on my home phoneline that
says "Welcome to the BT Text service...Registered OK" and the
phone
didn't ring so I'm thinking it's all working now  :-)    If a hacked CID
unit can pick this up then  this is a real easy way  to provide SMS to
xAP - and it's FREE :-)   - outgoings are 10P of course.

>  One nice feature is that you can also specify multiple
> independent devices to receive messages using the subaddressing
feature...

I think that's the bit I had setup wrong - I needed to add a * on the
end of the service centre numbers.