Re: Application for obtaining caller ID from a hacked BT Caller Display 50 (or similar)

Great stuff Martin :-)

I wonder... are you using a BT line ?  I'm interested to see if in the
raw CLIP data packet the 'message waiting' parameter is ever supplied
from the exchange (presumably if BT 1571 is used). There's also a #
messages parameter and if that was valid for messages on the 1571
service it would be really useful to xAP it (enough for me to modify a
CID unit just for that feature)

Kevin

Martyn Wendon wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've been playing with various hacked Caller ID boxes for a while now
with a
> view to using them as a cheap way of getting CID information onto my
xAP
> network (I effectively have 4 lines here, 2 real & 2 via
distinctive
> ringing).
>
> As others have found, Patrick's meteor connector does work, but I
really
> wanted a way to have all 4 of my boxes under one application.
>
> So I've knocked up a simple vb.net xAP Caller ID application (at
> http://www.runtothehills.net/xAPCallerID.zip)
using Stuart's Framework which
> seems to work ok.
>
> Features:
>
> Up to 4 CID boxes supported  (on individual comm ports)
> Minimize to system task tray
> MSN Messenger style pop-up on incoming call
> Generates cid.incoming schema messages
>
> Installation / Configuration:
>
> Unzip it wherever you like
> Open "xAP Caller ID.exe.config" in a text editor and change
the options to
> suit (by default it is configured for one CID box on comm port 1 named
> "Home")
>

> I hasten to add that I'm not a Windows coder by any stretch of the
> imagination (my strengths are in perl / mysql / html) and I haven't
done any
> vb stuff for about 7 years, so there may well be glaring errors, bugs,
> rubbish code structure, etc, etc.
>
> However, it does seem to work ok (for me anyway) and has been stable
on an
> AMD1100 box running Windows XP for the past few days.
>
> It's also being constantly revised and changed as I think of better
ways to
> do things and add other features, so I'll post here when I release a
newer
> version.
>
> Hope that others may find it useful!
>

> Martyn