Re: Auto Discovery

Hi Eric,

Just checked and you are a member of xAP Developer - it appears you
joined both lists today.

Re 'discovery' - there is no guaranteed way to be able to discover
all devices like this (of all schema types). However ..

If the device offers BSC (Basic Status and Control), either as its
only schema or as a supplementary schema, then you can achieve what you
want.  BSC supports a 'query' command and you can target this query at
groups of devices based on wildcarding using the target= parameter.
Every device that matches the wildcard will respond, so you could choose
to have a 'lighting' group of devices and then target them to discover
them, You would be able to see all the master devices and all the
individual sub addresses ( actual lights) that a master might manage.

Other schema are not required to support a query command but they
may of course do so - so if you were designing an application you could
build this functionality in.

Of course every xAP device will send out a heartbeat - the
recommended frequency for this is every minute , so you do become aware
of everything within that time period. This doesn't extend to sub
addresses though (just the master sends a heartbeat). Some of these sub
addresses may not become visible until they change state or provide
information.

Kevin

- mustang8760 wrote:
> This question should probably be posted in the developers list but I
> haven't been granted access yet. I've been reading all I can about xAP
> and have created a quick xAP "device" using the Java
libraries. The