Re: Update on xAP Asterisk?

Paul Gale wrote:
> Anyone got any updates on the xAP Asterisk connector?

The work that I had started was put on "hold" while I finished
BSC
support for misterhouse.  That's wrapping up this week; so, I'll restart
working on the asterisk connector again.

As I recall, you were most interested in some sort of MWI-like (message
waiting indicator) capability--right?  If so, I'm unaware of any
applicable ways that the telephony schema supports this; so, I'm
somewhat thinking of using BSC to report number of messages via the text
field.  If I can get both "new" (i.e., unheard) and
"old" message
counts, then I'm thinking of something like the following:

xap-header
{
v=12
hop=1
uid=FFCD2F01
class=xAPBSC.event
source=acme.asterisk.myhouse:mwi.01
target=*
}
output.state
{
state=on
text=1/3
}

So, the subaddress has a group of "mwi" (to permit queries of all
possible voicemail boxes) and an endpoint of the asterisk mailbox
number.  The text value is delimitted with a slash.  The first part is
the number of unheard messages and the last part is the number of old
messages.  I'm also thinking that as soon as the number of unheard
messages drops to 0, then the state is set as off.

I'm almost positive that the information from * manager interface has to
be polled (i.e., there is no "new message waiting" event).  If
that's
the case, then I'd probably set the polling interval consistent w/ the
heartbeat--every 60 seconds.  The application would maintain internal
track of the new & old messages to determine when to send out an event.

Sound ok?  Does anyone know of a schema that could better deal support
MWI-like functionality?

Also, I somewhat picked BSC for this as I don't know of any current
application support for MWI and assumed that you might want to use
something that can generically process BSC events (e.g., xAP Desktop).
Let me know if you have something else in mind.

Gregg