C-Bus xAP Gateway - BSC v1.3 support beta v025 available

  • Subject: C-Bus xAP Gateway - BSC v1.3 support beta v025 available
  • From: Kevin Hawkins <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 14:45:38 +0100

I am pleased to announce the availability of v025 firmware for the
C-Bus to xAP Gateway board.  This version adds support for BSC v1.3 (
and deprecates support for BSC v1.2 ).   The firmware images are located
on the update server. Please note all firmware is classed as beta and
will be for some time as features are added..

Anyone still running firmware prior to v022 will have to update the
boards using a programming cable - or return the unit to me and I will
update it for free.If you rely on the controller I will send you a
pre-programmed unit out as an advanced exchange.  If you already run
v020 or above then the firmware may be updated using the Ethernet
Downloader :-)  If this is the first time you have done this then you
will need the downloader application and licence (Windows only)  which
is not on the download site. Please email me and I will provide you a
copy. All future firmware updates may now be applied via the Ethernet
downloader.  Please ensure you upadte using the appropriate
"DHCP" or
fixed IP firmware image (identified as "IP"). If you download the
wrong
version you may lose contact with the board over Ethernet and hence not
be able to recover easily.

The spec for BSC v1.3 is in the files area of this group. It is an
ideal schema for C-Bus and allows immediate integration of C-Bus with
all BSC13 capable controllers for example HomeSeer and xAP Desktop.
HomeSeer for example will automatically recognise all your C-Bus groups
and they become devices within HomeSeer with full realtime control,
status tracking, scripting and web / touch  interface.  Any other
Homeseer devices appear as xAP devices too, so you can control all HS's
devices from xAP..  A set of realtime floating xAP Desktop faders (quad
and single) are now released in beta and available upon request  from
me. I will be posting them here shortly after initial testing feedback
.  These also work with an imminent new version of the X10 connector
from Edward and BSC Mapper from Ascentium.  Note that the timed RAMP
function on C-Bus is only available via the C-Bus.Lighting schema , and
not BSC.

I have boards available for those interested in using BSC 13. (cost
btw is £199 inc the board, psu, Rabbit 512K/512K processor and C-Bus
interface) .  The C-Bus.Lighting schema is evolving too. The current
state of play is...

Cased units are available but without the milled end panels

Change summary v025 beta (released)
Identification of current firmware version fixed for Ethernet
Downloader

Change Summary v024
BSC 1.3 support  :  All features of BSC v1.3 in the current
published spec now supported (except multipart bodies)
State=Toggle support bug fixed when  Level= present

Change Summary v023
BSC 1.3  :  Full wildcard matching and ID=* support
Current level stored when State=Off sent to allow restore at
previous level
Level and State can be set independent of each other so preset
DIM level can be set whilst off.

Change Summary v022
BSC1.3 initial support
BSC1.2 support deprecated

Change Summary v021
Web serevr re-enabled although has no content
FTP server re-enabled

Change Summary v020
Ethernet Downloader code added
Program now memory optimised to remain resident in Flash
Web page CGI mechansim changed.  Web / FTP  features not
currently available.

Known Issues or Restrictions as of v025

Web server control and configuration pages  currently removed
IP configuration is only via DHCP or hard coded IP (please
advise me if you need fixed IP) - a standard build is provided  for
192.168.1.19
C-Bus Group 0 is not supported, it may show errors in xAP
Viewer if present as it creates sub addresses using a 00 UID which is
not permitted
Naming of C-Bus groups is via xAP config messages only until
the web interface is re-instated. Import of C-Bus configuration files
may be offered later.
A maximum of 25 C-Bus Group names may be stored currently. Any
unnamed groups use a default naming of Gxx eg G24 G25 etc
Actioning changes on many random C-Bus endpoints  using one
xAP message can cause loss of data on C-Bus. C-Bus is relatively slow at
4800 baud and has only a few bytes of buffering. A different buffering
system will be introduced in time to avoid this. Currently I choose to
buffer more Ethernet than C-Bus. Mutiple grouped C-Bus loads operated as
one operate correctly.
Only single C-Bus networks are supported - up to 254 groups.
Bridged networks are not supported.
C-Bus.Lighting schema still a 'work in progress'
Multipart 'indexed' bodies within xAPBSC.cmd mesages are
ignored. Only Output.State.1  is actioned.

Kevin