Re: Re: xAP & RIO/netgear router help/advice needed ;o)

Jonathan@xxxxxxx wrote:

>Hi Kevin,
>
>I've downloaded the hub from 'xapframework.net' and installed that,
>but it reported i was already running a hub when i dbl clicked
>the .exe file .. so i assume thats because i'm running the xap
>desktop too ?
>
>i think i'm being a bit on the dim side today
>where do i find:

xAP has one 'reserved' port for its use (3639) - whichever  first xAP
application is launched will reserve this port. Later applications will
fail to acquire it as it can't be shared so a hub is used to remedy
this.  Basically if you wish to run more than 1 xAP application then a
hub is required and must be launched as the first xAP application so it
can be utilised by later ones, the same is true of xPL although it uses
a different port (3865).

Yes in your case because you ran xAP Desktop first the hub would fail -
quit all your xAP apps and run the hub first.      There is one other
clever feature of all the xFx applications in that they automatically
work as a hub too (if needed) if they are the first xAP application
launched eg Viewer would do this. However xAP Desktop is a VB
application and not written in .NET  xFx. so must either be the only xAP
running or needs a hub.

>Right click on
>

>> 'localhost' > Properties > Enable xAP support  [ ]
>>

>is it an icon off of my desktop ?

I am assuming you have xPL HAL installed ???    If so this is in the xPL
HAL Manager application. Again note however that if you do enable xAP
support in xPL Manager then xPL Manager must launch before any xPL or
xAP applications as it is operating as the hubs for both.  You would
then not require the xAP hub application. If you run Viewer it will run
as a xAP message display for you (very useful) but it will not adopt a
hub role as it will find the hub provided by xPL HAL. So use Viewer
rather than Hub in this scenario.

At one stage the xPL team were going to look at the possibility of the
scriptable bridge being useable in xPL HAL without their hub running -
ie so that it could use a standard xAP hub but this is way down their
list of priorities and not really needed as long as the specs stay
constant which they have done on both x protocols for well over a year
now. (one caveat - I am not sure if  HAL xAP hub adheres to the xAP spec
that requires any extra unexpected parameters to be handled
transparently eg extra header or body parameters should be relayed
gracefully).

Kevin