Re: Re: xAP Weather Install

  • Subject: Re: Re: xAP Weather Install
  • From: James Traynor
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 19:09:00 +0000

alanmiddleton74 wrote:
> I got the same when I tried id=3681 - I suspect it happens when the
> weather reported is something that the programmer wasn't expecting,
> ie
> if sunny
> show sunny icon
> else if rainy
> show rainy icon
> else
> show dunno

That logic it fairly close to it. This is the trouble with the bbc data,
it is undocumented so I can only guess from what is observed. This is
why the nasa data is so much better. I don't know if you have seen it
but there is a little guide on Weather at:
I am in the process of adding links to guides into the application so
that they appear in the start menu when installed.
If you are wondering why you need the id= bit, it is because for weather
from non UK sources it is world= .

> I suspect that this is a temporary glitch since whatever the weather
> in sevenoaks (3681) is coming back with today hasn't been catered for
> in the program. Tomorrow it will probably work fine. Unless there is
> a full documented list of weather states (or whatever is driving the
> icon) from the bbc then this may happen without it being a bug as
> such just an unknown state. Possibly after x weeks and reports of
> problems all possibly cases will have been documented.

If when the icon comes up as dunno could you go the the bbc site and
save the page and email it over to me, I can then have a look and update
Weather for the mystery icon.

> Try id=3799 , which I think is Egham and see what comes back. I get
> the icon cloudy3 atm.
>
> Again still wearing my xap novice hat and no slights intended to the
> original programmer or anyone involved in xap :)
none taken, I think your answer was spot on!!

James
mi4.biz