Re: Howto on Pace modem > Slimp3 display

  • Subject: Re: Howto on Pace modem > Slimp3 display
  • From: James Traynor
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 23:14:00 +0000

Dean Barrett wrote:

> I'm the same as you Mark - would like to use xAP CID to my Slimp via
> a Pace Modem, plus the desktop on Kevins machine looked great.
>
> Looked at the xAP site - couldnt find bugger all that made sense to
> me :) - perhaps i'm just not bright enough...

> Dean.
A short howto on getting caller id on a slimp3 from a Pace Modem via xAP.

Download
--------
To do this you will need 3 apps
1,A caller ID app to get the information into xAP, in this case xAP Pace
from www.mi4.biz
if you have a meteor then

2,The Slim Server xAP connector from www.xapframework.net. There are 3
downloads for this either a windows service, a console app or a nice
GUI. The Gui is a good start:

3,A thingamy to connect the two apps. Now for this you could use
homeseer, misterhouse and a few others but there is a little app
dedicated for this purpose.
Console version:
Service Version:

Install
-------
Now run the installer for all 3 apps, for the last two it doesn't matter
on which PC you run them but the Pace app needs to be on the PC with the
modem.

Configure it all
----------------
The Pace app defaults to com2. If your modem is on com 2 then just run
the app. If it's not then right click on the shortcut from the start
menu, select properties and at the end of the target line after the "
add a space then the number of the com port the modem is on. So if it's
com 4 then the line will look like
"C:\program files\xAP Pace\pace.exe" 4

The last thing to configure is the Slim Connector.
If you downloaded the GUI version then in the GUI in the Slimserver
configuration section enter the IP of the slimp3 server.
If you downloaded the service version then open wordpad
File>open and select files of type *.*
Navigate to c:\program files\xapframework.net\xAP Slimserver connector\
and open the file slimserverconnector.exe.config
Find the line near the bottom that says
<add key="SlimServer" value=""/>
and put the IP of the server between the " of the value i.e.
<add key="SlimServer" value="192.168.0.252"/>

All done
---------
Well not quite, you need all the apps to be running so make sure they
are. If you installed service versions then start them up using Services
in Administrative Tools from the Control Panel (or just reboot)

It might seem like alot of apps to do this task but now you have xAP
enabled your caller id and SlimServer you could,
Use xAPDblogger to log all incoming calls
Using xAP Desktop control any/all of you slimp3 form your desktop
Using xAP Desktop get popups of incoming calls
and much more

Hope this helps as a little guide. I put my hand up to the lack of
documentation of my apps, it's just a time issue - xAP Desktop and the
homeseer plugin have taken up an awful lot of time lately. I will get
this added to mi4 with some pictures once I get a free moment.
Any questions just post it here!!

James