Re: Binding to just one network adaptor / ip address?

  • Subject: Re: Binding to just one network adaptor / ip address?
  • From: Stuart Booth
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 20:38:00 +0000

Hi Alan,

On Mon, 17 May 2004 16:35:58 -0000, "alanmiddleton74"
<<a
href="/group/xap_automation/post?postID=Qysyum8Evs1ngz8HzwfCt7FoFRe87JfeacOje_qjTytGIyaroy9hIMtXqQj-v35d8ex0rIkwdr1Ii5ElJvQn">yahoo@a...</a>>
wrote:

>I don't want to broadcast xap messages on the wifi or wired
>interface, just to the loopback device so if I have new mail I'm not
>going to send this out to the whole network, just to the restricted
>loopback network, but I can't see any way of binding the hub /
>clients to just one network device.

It is possible with the xAPFramework.NET tools, once you know the
trick.

BTW, are you having any issues of duplicate messages getting sent and
received? I have to shuffle my feet and admit I still haven't setup a
PC with dual-network cards to attempt to simulate this setup as it
seems to cause messages to appear duplicated in some circumstance. If
you're not, then that's probably ideal for starting out!

What are the IP addresses that your machine has for each network
interface? This way we can talk exactly about the setup.

What OS are you using?

How does the loopback interface work? I've not used this myself as I
just have a very simple one NIC setup here, so I'm not sure how you
see it installed. Does it give you a 'normal' IP address in addition
to your WiFi and wired NICs?

> The hubgui seems to only show
>traffic on the loopback devices ip address, but I don't know why it
>decided to do that or that I absolutely trust that's the only network
>I'm sending xap traffic on.

It just picks the first one it retrieves from the system. I really
should add a user interface to the GUI to allow selection of this.

>Is it possible to bind to just one ip and I'm just missing it in some
>configuration file? (like I said new to this)

Stick the following two lines in the .exe.config file:

<add key="xAPBroadcastIP" value="<your IP address
here>" />
<add key="xAPListeningIP" value="<your IP address
here>" />

For instance, say the IP address you want to send/receive on is:
192.168.1.11, you'd input the following entries to the config file:

<add key="xAPBroadcastIP" value="192.168.1.255"
/>
<add key="xAPListeningIP" value="192.168.1.11" />

>If not, can I just block port 3640 and 1859 in my personal firewall
>all ips apart from the loopback range? or are there additional steps
>I should take to prevent someone 'eavesdropping' on my xap traffic ?

Not at all sure on the firewall aspect, but if you set the broadcast
IP to "192.168.1.11" it'll only send to itself I think.

Easiest way to test would be to install Hub or Viewer on another PC if
possible, and verify that each can or cannot see each other on the
opposing PCs. Then add in the keys as described above and watch the
resulting behaviour. I'd expect each machine to silent except to
itself.

Starting either Hub or Viewer is sufficient to cause messages to be
sent out as each generates an "I'm alive!" heartbeat message
every 60s
by default (this part is configurable in the UI).

Hope this is enough to be going on with. Multiple NICs are a bit hit
&amp;
miss at the moment with my own s/w as I don't have an environment to
ensure it works.

PS - just noticed that whilst I improved multiple NIC handling in
v1.2.9.6 of xAPFramework.NET (xFx), it appears as though the current
builds of Hub and Viewer (v1.2.1.4) are using slighty older versions
of xFx (v1.2.9.3) that predate these changes. I'll need to update them
as I made them recently whilst trying to track down a problem
--
Stuart Booth <<a
href="/group/xap_automation/post?postID=XH59dAJ1VXxeDlRxG_RUHQ4aO1ax4QsaElUGl94BPAha-CASOiztsZBYXDyfE6KUsQ8pTOmo-ms6SDJhMvngFg">stuart@x...</a>>