Updated xAP Message Viewer and GUI Hub

  • Subject: Updated xAP Message Viewer and GUI Hub
  • From: Stuart Booth
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 23:56:00 +0000

Hi Folks,

I've just uploaded the latest builds of the xAP Message Viewer and the
GUI Hub to v1.2.1.3.

Viewer:
<<a href="http://www.xapframework.net/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=4";>http://www.xapframework.net/modules.php?name=Downloads&amp;d_op=viewdownload&amp;cid=4</a>>

Hub:
<<a href="http://www.xapframework.net/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=5";>http://www.xapframework.net/modules.php?name=Downloads&amp;d_op=viewdownload&amp;cid=5</a>>

Internally I've been updating a lot of things in xAPFramework.NET but
I'm not ready to update that just yet. So there are lots of general
fixes that these applications automatically inherit by having the
latest build of xFx.

The most visible changes are to the error handling. xAPFramework fires
several different events when messages arrive. It now has even more
improved error handling internally, so when it detects a badly formed
message it will report the exact nature of the problem and the line
number. xAPFramework is, by design, very strict on the xAP message
format, which I find very useful.

With the GUI tools you can now view malformed xAP messages and
unrecognised messages, which appear distinct from normal messages. The
cause of the error can be viewed in the message preview window, which
you invoke by 2x clicking a message in the display.

Note that this *only* works when an application is running as a xAP
hub, which they are both capable of doing. A xFx Hub doesn't forward
on malformed messages to its hub clients. I could change this if the
need arises though.

--- Other Changes ---

1. The "Minimise to tray" option now works a bit more correctly.

2. (Viewer only) A tooltip on the message list control may now be
optionally turned on - this is always available in debug builds and in
release builds only with a .config setting, as it's far from perfect,
but otherwise quite useful.

<add key="ViewerShowTooltipsOption" value="true"
/>

One of these days I'll get around to fixing it properly.

3. Message details windows can now be 'pinned' so that they track the
current selected message(s) in the message grid. This causes an
immediate update in the preview window and is extremely useful when
browsing through a lot of messages.

4. Messages can now be resent from the message review window just as
they can from the Viewer window.

There are several other cosmetic changes throughout the apps.

I spotted a problem just as I packaged things up for release, when I
discovered that my web packaging tool wasn't copying a required DLL
with each application. So do let me know if you come across any other
problems.

Stuart Booth <<a
href="/group/xap_automation/post?postID=ephoAYl9d-evYuZeo2JJ6K2TVkwARz0XYIvT730TKk_gbPXAUPMvoEPQCQLne42D9yd_QI9nBK7CubwStvIk">stuart@x...</a>>
xAPFramework.net - a xAP software development framework for .net