Re: Hub problems

  • Subject: Re: Hub problems
  • From: robkearns
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 13:27:00 +0000

Thanks Kevin & Stuart for your replies.

You both hit on it with the network connection questions. When I
tried the Viewer again last night it worked straight away but then
later it didn't. I realised that the difference was that the first
time I had my network cable plugged in, the second time I was running
wirelessly. I then had a look at my network connections and found
that my wireless connection had the software firewall turned on. The
firewall has many settings, allow this allow that, so I allowed and
enabled everything but it still didn't work. So I turned it off and
now all is working fine.

BTW I'm running xp.

Thanks for your help, I think it would have taken a lot longer to
discover it was the network connection without your prompts.

Thanks
Rob

--- In <a
href="/group/xap_automation/post?postID=99j96F56YpyQemrgnTWdGDeORdS_6TMVYWjm_qE8NxxXY5pRe8Opul-UBAWeaxYoM0ct7ba2b4OP6fgUUBE0epiJ1CM">xap_automation@xxxxxxx</a>,
"Kevin Hawkins" <lists@u...>
wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> This should all work so just to clarify can you just post
what OS
> and specific versions of the xAP apps you are running ? Are they
all the
> latest ones as downloaded from the xAPFramework site ? Also on your
laptop
> what network connections do you have and which are you using ??
> If you launch the GUI version of Viewer do you see anything
at all ?
> Does it see it's own heartbeat and appear itself as a device in the
left
> hand pane ? It should display its own heartbeat as the first thing
it shows.
> Although it is a step back you could launch the GUI Viewer
app first
> on the laptop and then start the other apps / services to see if
this works
> - the GUI Viewer will adopt the hub role and will show this (if I
remember
> correctly) in its title bar.
> It's almost sounding like the app that you first launched as
a xAP
> application has grabbed the 3639 port used as a hub but has
providing the
> hub functionality. I cant remember if the older Viewer app
adopts a hub
> role automatically, or if it was a config option - maybe it has
just pinched
> port 3639.
> You can of course run the Viewer as an app on the same
machine as
> the SlimServer and it will show you all the network traffic. Maybe
you don't
> have .NET installed on this machine though.
> The weather and SliMP3 connector work fine with hubs - but
the hub
> MUST be the first application started (or an app that will
automatically
> adopt a hub role). Viewer simply shows what broadcast traffic it
sees and
> hence the fact that it is deaf would indicate that it has not
managed to
> attach to a hub to listen - hubs are only needed to hear xAP
packets - and
> then they are only needed if there is more than one app on the same
machine
> , xAP apps will happily send data that can be heard by everyone
else without
> needing a hub.
>
> Kevin

Canada.