Re: xAP Apps ?

  • Subject: Re: xAP Apps ?
  • From: Stuart Booth
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 21:26:00 +0000

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 20:51:22 +0100, "Mark McCall"
<<a
href="/group/xap_automation/post?postID=jZgV7s3E-9BcO4bShoKjHZRfpuPYZWc9vk7qP13nlQemIjntnAU5JnpH2YjOLRrSCb6NMZtnP0p2CnHlZ3LPOp8d">lists@a...</a>>
wrote:

>Thanks Stuart. Just had a look at your site...you've been busy! :)

Hey, cheers! The foundations are a critical component I think. I'm
quite pleased with mine, but it takes a lot of time to build and
there's an awful pile of things to do yet too.

>From my point of view (simple minded end user) I would much rather have
some
>sort of "container" app that all the xAP stuff runs under. I
suppose a
>master app with plugins (like Girder) is the sort of thing I imagine.

Way ahead of you! Well, in so far as all my xAPps are implemented as
plugins that will run under a single "container" type application
like
that you describe. I've been calling it a 'xAP runtime'.

It dynamically pulls in whatever xAP business logic modules (or
plugins) you care to drop into it.

But by changing only the one single part of it (the main EXE you're
used to handling) you can instantly make this 'package' that you've
built up into a very simple Console mode application, or a pretty UI
that minimises into the system tray, or even a 'behind the scenes'
Windows Service (albeit with a bit of installation into the Windows
system). Or anything else I think of in future.

What I suspect you're after is a single master xAP container
application, one xAPp to rule them all.

That is much more difficult. It's easy for me to make my applications
conform to particular interfaces so that I can recognise them, load
them, install them, and operate them. But bringing all the different
applications from different developers or languages and environments
together could be quite challenging.

Unfortunately I have no idea what Girder is or does (certainly heard
of it though!)

Stuart Booth
xAPFramework.net - a reusable xAP framework for .net

<a
href="/group/xap_automation/post?postID=L4CThpwezyWZfMv8i3KfDT60UXApBI2FUstZ5jegU85BKqpJI_Yukbv4MI6K6XF-AzxMBzkqKTTao7RASg">stuart@x...</a>