Re: Schema question - Vendor ID/UID

  • Subject: Re: Schema question - Vendor ID/UID
  • From: Stuart Booth
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 09:38:00 +0000

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 19:13:13 -0000, "near45south"
<<a
href="/group/xap_automation/post?postID=LJRVsPYmnSvvyVQB-a2aerfNhD8KQvoEmyy_r1F3q7jzslQVeu1DHJqkj3Q-ScDikJQ3ncUo-iAQQ_LOsw">lists@t...</a>>
wrote:

>I'm trying to push myself forward with this technology, however I'm
>slightly confused. The schema details on the website indicate that
>vendor name is assigned by xap group, so is there a master list
>somewhere or do I just pick some nice letters and/or name and use
>that.

Ah, yes, there is (was?) a xAP-naming group specifically for vendor
names, but I'd imagine things get rolled into here now.

I'm not sure who maintains the master naming list or what the protocol
is here. I'm going to guess at Mark Harrison being the man??

It's been a while since I thought about the vendor names, but as I
recall they must be > 3 characters (to reduce the use of TLAs) and <=
8 characters in length. There wasn't anything specific about lower
numbers of characters, just a preference to avoid any clashes with
registered trademarks and the like.

My own one is KCSOFT. IIRC, Patrick uses ROCKET. Can't remember many
others, sorry folks! Oh, SlimDevices have SLIMDEVI. I should know that
one ;) I also believe there's no reason not to have multiple vendor
names, perhaps one for personal/non-commercial use, and another for,
we all wish :), commercial oriented products.

What I'd suggest is picking something that suits you within the
limitations I mentioned above, suggest it here, whomever maintains the
master list will say yay or nay, and go with that.

>Also, is there a preferred method for generating the UID for each
>vendor given the confines of the schema or can I just make something
>up?

Kevin is our resident UID master but if I've understood your query
correctly, then the UID (the FF123400 value) only has to be unique on
your own network. You can set them to be anything you like. There is a
lurking issue of configuration and discovery to populate this value
dynamically, but for now, I just set mine to FFxxxx00 and then pick a
number for "xxxx". I tweak the .config files of all my apps to
make
them unique. I haven't used UIDs too much myself yet.

HTH?

Stuart Booth <<a
href="/group/xap_automation/post?postID=CP_sf_Jqx02zXtzj7fq9ie8VFbGKyBl-MmDiTQYYug6N76Y9Ie_muoDK8UjaY1MntGyFlDX8hlVEBT4oxQ">stuart@x...</a>>
xAPFramework.net - a xAP software development framework for .net