Updated POP3, NewEmailOSD and Listener applications

  • Subject: Updated POP3, NewEmailOSD and Listener applications
  • From: Stuart Booth
  • Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 21:04:00 +0000

Hi folks,

Just updated all 3 of these little applications to v1.2.7.0.

Listener
========

<<a href="http://www.xapframework.net/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=4";>http://www.xapframework.net/modules.php?name=Downloads&amp;d_op=viewdownload&amp;cid=4</a>>

I've added a new option to the config file called
"DisplayLocalMessagesOnly" which, as it suggests, will cause the
Listener application to only display those messages sent by local
machine applications.

This is really useful for debugging a new xAPplication. Messages might
come flooding in from the several xAP apps and devices on the network,
making it harder to see what's going on with your local development. I
found myself constantly stopping things running on my Server. No more.

However, you *must* run Listener first so that it starts as a Hub.

POP3
====

<<a href="http://www.xapframework.net/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=40";>http://www.xapframework.net/modules.php?name=Downloads&amp;d_op=viewdownload&amp;cid=40\
</a>>

This now (optionally) broadcasts status messages indicating number of
available emails on the various mailboxes that app is monitoring.

Not only does it report on email status on a particular user/mailbox
but it also reports a cumulative total of all emails available across
all mailboxes.

A modified schema for this app can be found on

NewEmailOSD
===========

<<a href="http://www.xapframework.net/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=42";>http://www.xapframework.net/modules.php?name=Downloads&amp;d_op=viewdownload&amp;cid=42\
</a>>

As requested, you can now turn off NEW mail notifications as well as
the Available Mail notifications if you wish. This saves having to
turn them off entirely at the POP3 mailbox monitor end, which impacts
other applications interested in the xAP information.

A brand new feature is optionally picking up the Status messages from
the POP3 mailbox monitor application and outputing a short on-screen
display message such as "5 new e-mails available".

This is very nice I find. Today I was watching the F1 qualifying after
having been out for a while when that very message appeared onscreen.
The message frequency is quite low (controlled by the POP3 monitor)
but is a fun example of several xAP status messages being pumped out
by one application and selectively picked up by another. Another xAPp
could do something entirely different with the available information.

Bugs, Queries, Suggestions, Requests ... all welcomed.

Stuart Booth <<a
href="/group/xap_automation/post?postID=huaATFl-Zy7XF5m043FBelSHWc3pXP-X3c0q8_SfC3H5PGFi64h5EDMPFMM9j5yR73x7MOKk2qOf1jWdigyi8kA">stuart@x...</a>>
xAPFramework.net - a xAP software development framework for .net