Re: Re: POP3 email Monitor application released!

  • Subject: Re: Re: POP3 email Monitor application released!
  • From: Stuart Booth
  • Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 23:56:00 +0000

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 22:34:18 -0000, "max_adamiec"
<<a
href="/group/xap_automation/post?postID=lWZ-0Ps5a47A02bc0VOtv9oKqi2vNQPnBA38YqjFSQiR5W4xlLi8s198Q2UCEsosycz0T4X5-1LeUqL1Jh54">max@v...</a>>
wrote:

>I've had Listener running all evening and it appears to be the 30m
>interval multiple mail messages. Sometimes they're garbled, somtimes
>displayed but don't scroll. Still in large text mode.

That does point towards the lack of a message queue. The 30min
'available' mail update just dumps every mail it finds in the
mailboxes all at once.

Incidentally I've changed the interval for this to 120minutes for the
next upload as I find that 30min frequency too much.

I've also increased the default new email frequency to 120s after I
discovered it seemed to interfere with mail checking whilst I was at
work. At least I got a few unusual error messages which I put down to
the POP3 monitor running at home.

>Just a thought for the new mail osd app. Would it possible have an
>option in the config file to select which messages are forwarded to
>the display. eg. new email messages flash to display,
>irregular "digest" messages not forwarded.

How about turning OFF the 'available' mail display? Would that help at
all for the time being?

I can certainly add in an option to the New Mail OSD app though. To be
honest though I'm not happy with the New Mail OSD implementation, but
it took mere minutes to bash together to get something going. I'm
wondering if an engine such as xPLHAL is a far superior answer.

The NewMailOSD app at least gives me a feel for it and makes it useful
right now.

>What would be really nice now (slimp3 orientated this one) is a perl
>plugin for the slimserver which picks up the digest message and

"digest message". I like that description.

Actually, just as an aside, the 'available mail' notifications aren't
exactly sent as a 'digest' message as such, it's actually just
multiple messages sent in bulk. I did wonder about glueing them all
together into a digest, as you so well describe it, but I was a bit
worried about blowing the xAP message size if I did. I could always
split them into multiple messages perhaps.

>creates an inbox status information directory on the osd.

Kevin and I were talking about this earlier today. He'd liked it, I'd
like it too.

> This
>appears do-able in perl but is currently beyond my abilities (have
>read a book but not yet experimented).

I can't see myself finding the time for this for quite some time :( I
believe KieranB is the resident perl expert. I know nothing about it.
If only I had a bit more brainpower... :-(

>Another (probably much simpler) option would be plugin which
>executes the xap message to request the digest message. I've seen a
>plugin somewhere which will launch an application from a slimp3
>remote/menu command, should be easy enough to point it at a text
>file xap message associated with the xap send app. (This is first on
>by learn perl/to do list).

That sounds like a great idea! The POP3 app will already respond to
messages requesting current status so it does indeed just need the
plugin->xAPSend interface sorting.

I must play with that too. But if it turns out you need an app but
can't pass it command line parameters for instance, I can easily and
quickly knock up a custom xAPplication that does exactly what you need
of it. That's a 5 minute job with my xAPFramework so just shout.

Stuart Booth <<a
href="/group/xap_automation/post?postID=sEdGm3X-v3je07rEhStXdnTbgP2RcX4eokkXpJyxWOU6Cf2U-5qj9YjPTgOcB7UWDi0QbOu6IpejFEQaXw">stuart@x...</a>>
xAPFramework.net - a xAP software development framework for .net