Re: xAP, Win98, no NIC, workaround?

  • Subject: Re: xAP, Win98, no NIC, workaround?
  • From: mark_harrison_uk2
  • Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 19:27:00 +0000

Looks like we're nearly there...

I've been corresponding with Gary off-list this afternoon, and I've
managed to get an IP stack bound to his PPP adaptor with DCC.

We've moved onto the testing stage... however, if this works, I'll
write up what we did and get it as a "knowledgebase article" for
xapautomation.org

Regards,

Mark

--- In <a
href="/group/xap_automation/post?postID=vW2BOkwn99T1IspNpzNRPfsgrRxMxs0bn5ZCFZl4eNKDQDcFxx-r30RvUxa3ac1Fj8yrLQSjkTRTfgJxL1yEWvWrniTxFNQ">xap_automation@xxxxxxx</a>,
"mark_harrison_uk2" <mph@a...>
wrote:
> OK - here's the bad news:
>
> WIN98:
>
> The Microsoft Virtual Private Network Adapter is, alas, not a
> loopback adapter. It's a VPN client. As such, it WILL bind IP, but
> only if there's already another IP stack over which it can
initialise
> a session :-(
>
> Microsoft did NOT release a loopback adaptor for Win98. The
official
> Microsoft answer to anyone needing one was "move to Windows NT
4."
> (Where it's trivial to install.)
>
> There _IS_ a neat solution, but it only works on machines with IrDa
> (Infrared) ports - these are typically laptops. The solution is to
> install Microsoft's IrDa Network Driver as a card, then bind IP to
> that.
>
> For desktops, however, I'm trying to see if there's a solution
using
> the DCC server. It binds to NetBEUI as standard, but should be
> bindable to IP.
>

> The good alternative, if anyone's got the DDK (Driver Development
> Kit) and a copy of Visual C for Windows 98 would be to take the
> sample driver code, and pretty much comment out ALL the hardware
> stuff such that EVERYTHING responds with an OK :-)
>
> The stupid thing about all this is that all the comms for a single
PC

"Gary" <questuk1@h...> wrote:
> > My Laptop has Win98, no NIC, I was recommended earlier to try
this
> > get xAP working on my PC!
> >

> > "Installing a loopback adapter (Microsoft Virtual Private
> > Networking Adapter) on a Windows 95/98/ME machine
> >
> > Go to the Start Menu and select Settings/Control Panel.
> > Select the icon Network.
> > Choose the tab Identification, and check that the text field
> Computer
> > name is populated - if not, enter a name.
> > Choose the tab Configuration, and click on Add.
> > In the dialog box that pops up, select Adapter and click on Add
> again.
> > Select Manufacturer of Microsoft, and click on Microsoft Virtual
> > Private
> > Networking Adapter.
> > Click on OK to save the new Adapter.
> > With the new Adapter selected, click on Add.
> > In the dialog box that pops up, select Protocol and click on Add
> > again.
> > Select Manufacturer of Microsoft, and click on TCP/IP. Click on
OK.

> > "Problem"
> > ---------
> > You will be prompted to configure the TCP/IP protocol:
> > Select "Determine IP address", and enter 169.254.0.1.
> > Enter subnet mask 255.255.0.0.
> > Deactivate WINS.
> > Activate DNS. The text field hosts should contain your computer
> name -
> > if not, enter it. Under the DNS server search sequence, type
> > 169.254.0.1.
> > Click on OK to save the new Protocol.
> > Click on OK again to exit the Network dialog. You will be
prompted
> > restart your PC - do so."
> >

> > I tried the above but at part "Problem" this window did
not
appear?

> > I have tried all sorts of ways to get it, to do the above, but
> > couldn't get it to display that window?
> >
> > Anyone else like to try, as I do not understand Networking, I
work
> in
> > electronics, and this is what I can contibute to the
"project"
and