Re: Rabbit/serial question

  • Subject: Re: Rabbit/serial question
  • From: treworgey
  • Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 13:44:00 +0000

Glenn,

Another option may be to use a TINI processor board:

This can be programmed in Java. I plan to do this but have not
started yet! One advantage is that there are tools freely available
to create the Java code and the same code (or similar) can be used on
several platforms. My intention is to develop and debug on a PC and
then port it to the TINI. Proof will be in doing it!

Also apart from the board itself minimal components are required to
connect it to the LAN and the RS232. (This is a bit of an assumption
I have a development board that contains the interfaces and it is
such a long time since I looked at it I can't remember what is on it!)

Have a look at: <a href="http://www.vinculum.com/1001.php";>http://www.vinculum.com/1001.php</a>

Good luck!

Cheers,

Chris Williams

--- In <a
href="/group/xap_automation/post?postID=cGPTkto6k6gMo43hWdzkYKyd8IJxR8IO58_H3M8kcGqYjCLJhflbQElQw-BNR4ChXa6zH9RPPnLeTu3Mrian9jxlb2ew">xap_automation@xxxxxxx</a>,
"Sullivan, Glenn"
<gsullivan@d...> wrote:
> Before I dive in feet first, I want to make sure I am on the right
track.

> I have a device called "Net CallerID" which is basically the
US
version of
> the meteor. I would like to grab the serial stream it puts out,
parse it,
> and then create a xAP message over an Ethernet interface. My first
pass at
> this will probably be a PC app, but I'd love to have it standalone
on
> Ethernet.
>
> Why Ethernet? I have, or will have soon, CAT6 everywhere. It's
all already
> tied together, and rather than set up another network (either
serial,
> one-wire, or rs-485) I'd like to interface it directly to
Ethernet. Also,