RE: Progress on the xAP to C-Bus gateway - MY FEEDBACK

  • Subject: RE: Progress on the xAP to C-Bus gateway - MY FEEDBACK
  • From: Kevin Hawkins
  • Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 13:54:00 +0000

Hi Mark

href="/group/xap_automation/post?postID=jGZ-MNqhIZBRVV4CDTLxmkt92CAKCYUcIS-4PaG-sCYrQOpuSuq1y3q0ufOYI2HNu1Kj6fsrrHsYzQ">mph@a...</a>]
href="/group/xap_automation/post?postID=3X4UOBmZIuCqlTWMF_xofC8SzJpE2Wy2aaPCXFecAjBi1aelKr4m8-REFG8DpFheyvwLyQNqv5jaXHb-fBQQKopzuIOsgeTNYA">xap_automation@xxxxxxx</a>

"Kevin Hawkins" <lists@u...>
> wrote:
>
> I don't have any C-Bus kit at the moment, but post-UKHA2003 it's
> certainly on the shortlist (against Polaron) for lighting control.

I know nothing about Polaron but the people that have it seem very happy

> The thing I dislike about C-Bus is the in-wall controllers, so I'd
> definitely want to xAP-control it.

They are not aimed at HA enthusiasts certainly - their functionality is
limited - however I think for one of the 'city living' type installs they
are probably very suitable really - 5 scenes is more than enough I would
think in practice - but timer / logic functions may need more than Clispals
timer offers.

> My preference for controllers, best first is:
>
> - Personality for the Rocket board

I would like this too as essentially my hardware is the same as this board
-
an unnecessary duplication if we both make one. However there is work to be
done in getting the product to a stage where a third party can write a plug
in or personality that can be imported to the product. A developers toolkit
perhaps. As there are issues in source code availability for the product
and
NDA issues on C-Bus it will take a little working through to get this - but
P and I are talking and hope to have a solution. I am about to order a
Rabbit board and to teach myself C (again)

> - Embedded RS232
> - Windows application
> - Linux application
>
> I don't have any need at the moment for a non-xAP version, but I can
> see how it would be useful as a debugging / installation tool (if I
> go the PC-application route.)

Several people have asked for this - just a simple ON OF DIM STATUS
protocol
not dissimilar to X10 I guess - I'll see

> I'd rather see a xAP - xPL bridge than a separate xPL connector for C-
> Bus to xPL. I think that there's going to a be a lot of effort spent
> by people building connectors for both protocols unless a bridge
> comes into use soon.

One of the very neat things in xAP that dovetails very nicely with the way
the C-Bus gateway works is the UID. This allows xAP switches to control
C-Bus loads with absolutely minimal overhead (and has reverse benefits).
Through a gateway this will be awkward as a UID can't be generated for xPL
source messages* and the addressing construct of xPL source/target
addresses
is truncated to the extent that it can't support multiple hardware
endpoints
within one xPL device. It will need awkward name value pairs within an xPL
message body.

* When I say can't be generated it would be possible to fabricate UID's for
xPL sources but the lack in xPL of the hardware sub ID - the last two
digits
of the UID and the content after a : in the longform address is
irrecoverable I think.