xAP News feed app

  • Subject: xAP News feed app
  • From: Stuart Booth
  • Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2003 17:53:00 +0000

Sorry for the lack of follow-up continuity - problems setting up new
email forwarding entries at my domain name provider...

James Traynor wrote:

> Yes I agree, a much nicer way of doing it. I will update things soon.
> One thing I don't like however is having multiple news.story This
> means the story priority is based on the postion in the xap message
> and not by the story itself. So how about story.XX sections?. The
> current beta stops at 5 stories but I have a new version that it is
> definable. But and this is a big but, BBC and co kicks out 15 or so
> stories per feed and that is one hell of a big xAP message. This kind
of
> app might well cause headaches for little hardware systems.

Having huge messages does seem like a bad idea to me too. Perhaps some
kind of sequence variable in the message body? "Sequence = 02/15"
indicate it's the 2nd story of 15??? As they're all separate stories,
the sequence numbering/order of arrival if sent in different messages
isn't critical, just a way to tie them together.

But this is me again keeping variable data out of the message block
name/type, although if you were looking for a particular type of block
you would only need to compare the first 'n' characters to determine a
match. I'm just not sure that variable data should be stored there.
How does everybody else feel?

Having many, many stories in one message does leave potential scope to
create too large a message, even larger than the 1,500 bytes noted as
being the "conventional maximum packet size for a UDP datagram"
in the
xAP spec.

Got to say I really like the news ticker xAPp though! Very cool
indeed. I'll definitely be adding an encapsulation of your schema to
my xAPFramework once it settles down.

Stuart Booth
xAPFramework.net - a reusable xAP framework for .net

<a
href="/group/xap_automation/post?postID=nW7T2xSqF3rRsCz2fD8QTRGJBTcnURvyMvD652KGb3kk-FBPyL9zXOuJ3htZoeal9dBHqUigpN43t1I1AlLNHig">stuart@x...</a>