Displays and those messages....

  • Subject: Displays and those messages....
  • From: Ian B
  • Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2003 11:43:00 +0000

Hi Stuart

I am just beginning to think about a 'low end device' for myself. It will
be
a pretty little display (blue if I can get it) of 128 by 64 dots (graphic).
Initially this will be for my scheduler but it will also be a stand alone
display unit at the end of the day. I plan to use a wheel and a couple of
buttons for user input e.g. scrolling through menus and selecting options
etc. There is the possibility of touch screen as well.

The chip I hope to use will be a 128k Atmel one. I have no idea of prices
or
anything yet but the completed units won't be a tenner. More like 70 to 100
depending on functionality. I will be looking at Ethernet connectivity and
hope this can be a simple plug in module like the one Patrick has now (may
even be that one ;-)).

I would be interested in your thoughts on something like this including the
features verses price.

It will NOT fit into a standard double gang box if we have a input wheel
(like a jog dial) and buttons. Even more certainly if we go for Ethernet.

This is a long project too so don't expect anything in the next few weeks.

I guess my interest here is in the xAP message and keeping it concise.
Also,
how about menus etc. has anyone thought how we might do that sort of thing.
I am assuming here a higher intelligence to control the data and act on it.

Thanks

Ian

href="/group/xap_automation/post?postID=pwIPb9zXuhz3zAPuPveSQyuxSPM-VheIyyb_ixAh5m8Fpc1hu1cACvV1LQ6fR49mBi-f_1BlI4EXYO0HpYY">lists@s...</a>]
href="/group/xap_automation/post?postID=I34YDB2sLIiiiFpthVKNo64cA_j8XAARyuGbMhT38GUy4mFA6mdwmvdr74QLvaiNurT--jE6R370brnsCyBb6mfCzQKbemo">xap_automation@xxxxxxx</a>

href="/group/xap_automation/post?postID=wMhKzbCuPbDfVORlKQjy9Xo6knCszy_HbMFpfA7-dkXtvtuGeunMPP7Pz_fOTExBvoaBpqg">james@m...</a>>
>wrote:
>
>>I have released two xAP programs on my website www.mi4.biz, schema
>>for them both is there aswell. They are both beta (windows 95+) but
>>have been running at home for a while without problems so....
>
>>xAP News is a similar idea, but , yes , for news. It collects
RSS/RDF
>>data and re broadcasts it as xAP. It currently xAPs the first 5
>>stories with full title/link/description info (if available).
>
>Just been giving xAP News a go. This is a wonderful idea that I want
>some OSD output from (but we'll come to that separately as you know).
>
>I was looking at your schema for this app and I was wondering about a
>couple of things. These are just thoughts out loud.
>
>In the News.Report class, how about fragmenting it a bit more? For
>instance:
>
>Class = News.Report
>
>News.Feed
>{
>Name=(name of the station - 8 chars max)
>-- Mandatory
>Title=(Full name of the news feed)
>-- mandatory
>Link=(http address of news site, not the rdf feed but the site)
>-- optional
>Desc=(Description of the news feed)
>-- optional
>Error=(Download errors either "NoData" if last connection
failed or
>"StationNotFound" if feed isn't valid)
>-- optional
>}
>
>And then, similar to News.Alert:
>
>News.Story
>{
>Stitle=(Title of story)
>-- mandatory
>Slink=(Link of story)
>-- optional
>Sdesc=(Description of story)
>-- optional
>}
>
>You could then have multiple News.Story blocks in a single xAP message
>for each story in the report. This avoids decoding StitleX, SlinkX etc
>to pair them up - all details of one story are in a single block - and
>keeps the news feed site data distinct from the actual stories, of
>which there may be any number.
>
>It also removes any limit (of say 'up to 5 stories') on the number of
>stories, albeit at the risk of making the xAP message rather large.
>Still, they could be sent as completely separate messages rather than
>multiple message blocks.
>
>I also removed the name of the station from the name of the block and
>added it as a message block value. This struck me as being the place
>for it, since it's a variable data value rather than a type name, but
>others may differ!
>
>To save a wee tad of space the 'S' prefix in the News.Story block
>could be dropped too I suppose. I keep thinking of really low-end
>serial devices here, but I'm miles away from fiddling with the likes
>of this yet.
>
>>news uses rdf or rss .091,1.0,2.0 formats,
>
>Do you happen to know of a handy reference site to find out more about
>this format? It's on my ToDo list (not that I really need to add to
>this of course) to look into.
>
>HTH
>
>Stuart
>--
>Stuart Booth
>xAPFramework.net - a reusable xAP framework for .net

<a
href="/group/xap_automation/post?postID=NNJek3sVI_n7H9a-Six3LYpE3caG4sIyW_6M3iFcwF8JJcEPqyzR55Yb1kQRDpW1hIdAsNVJb-5IVqc95IAC5Is">stuart@x...</a>

href="/group/xap_automation/post?postID=4kXwOCaev42vSdfDfeW6FkGnfVMDREVKyR6J5skYZ__2hIxhOQpnfZMRwKlBSzZutAGwgdcc3Xyhpva7D5XzXon9CbT5u6wQVfRR0pPYGHnZBcUvdw">xap_automation-unsubscribe@xxxxxxx</a>