RE: Heartbeats and Hardware sub nodes

  • Subject: RE: Heartbeats and Hardware sub nodes
  • From: Kevin Hawkins
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2003 22:45:00 +0000

Absolutely right - if anything changes after the : in the address then it
is
still the same application and hence needs only the one heartbeat. The last
two digits of the UID must change though if you have different sub
addresses.

One thing that has come up though is a device that has more than 256 sub
addresses, in this case I think a suggestion has been made to change part
of
the source address to the left of the : but not require a heartbeat for the
new source address and UID. The application will still be able to listen
on its single port anyway.

Acme.bigcontroller.factory.1 with UID's FF123400 and 256 subs FF123401 -
FF12340E
Acme.bigcontroller.factory.2 with UID's FF123500 and 256 subs FF123501 -
FF12350E

Some receivers will see this as different devices of course but it is not
necessary or desireable to open another listening port with a new heartbeat
-a nd sending one on the same port is unnecessary and confusing.

href="/group/xap_automation/post?postID=L4hJ1USnHRgXdr6RkdNeyGAZyuuPm6kaSWEMPczso9iIb8Wl-kuIghjLozMm_ZOWOWqsKDAueWdrC__E">lists@x...</a>]
href="/group/xap_automation/post?postID=1a5_rCaIFRQ7hp7zF-D1MF1RcBxGtvz1-EWZIzEiF85ZY4OBb-Aiwz7wb-wn8dGTAwBsISwLTTG_eybVPD3OR5EejWqJwdcx">xap_automation@xxxxxxx</a>

href="/group/xap_automation/post?postID=k7JBTzvGhJzobr6YDnxcRcbGEaJWVosJ-1s1pyH3B4FUquF3h2ONmNBqLRjCCsbRV7-hIuVdf3MA7VKpGZOF">stuart@x...</a>>