Re: x-10 hardware documentation

  • Subject: Re: x-10 hardware documentation
  • From: Alex Ciurea
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 15:24:00 +0000

Hello Kevin,

Thanks alot for your extra-detailed answer.

Now I get it : xAP is a protocol used to transmit data to and from various
devices, connected via X10, wireless, dedicated wires, etc, etc..

To send commands I need a PIC/Rabbit controller, but to execute the
commands, I need a decoder for each device? I mean, each device should have
a microcontroller that will interpret the commands?

I presume that in order to light up a lamp, there should be a
microcontroller (PIC or Rabbit) that sends commands to the lamp, and the
lamp should have another microcontroller (for decodeing) my commands.

So, if I want to make an application to turn on/off a lamp via a WEB
browser, using X10, I need:

- a PC with a HTPP server;
- a PIC/Rabbit microcontroller connected to my PC and also connected to the
mains (that will transmit my commands through mains - using the xAP
protocol
via X10 - );
- a decoder for the lamp, that will decode my commands and will control the
dimmer;
- a lamp :).

The dimmer is easy to find in US, but being in Europe (Romania), I have to
build my own dimmer? I know, I could fly to US, buy some dimmers and come
back in a second, but this is not a long term solution...

Probably those aren't questions for the xAP mailing list, but for those
questions I haven't found yet any answers.

Thanks alot,
Alex