Re: Slightly OT: automated garden gazebo inspiration

Hello, Paul.

Have a look at this similar requirement and possible solution..

http://www.instructables.com/answers/How-do-I-make-a-pulley-system-to-lift-=
a-model-trai/

As to the lower limit stop, you could have a picture frame type=20
arrangement that would fit around your pool table outer edges but secure=20
it under the platform you are lowering - with one side hinged and the=20
other to a micro switch. When the unhinged side touched the table first,=20
the micro-switch is activated and power to the motor is stopped.

Alternatively, use an ultrasonic distance measurement module driven by a=20
micro that could be accurate to 1cm.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Distance-measurement-and-obstacle-detection=
-using--1/

Regards,

Kwong Li
li@xxxxxxx
Laser Business Systems Ltd.
http://www.laser.com

On Sun, 10 Jan 2016, Paul Gordon paul_gordon@xxxxxxx [ukha_d] wrote:

> =C2=A0
>=20
> Hi all, bear with me, there IS an automation link in here, of sorts...
:-=
)
>=20
> My spring/summer project this year will be to construct a timber
framed g=
arden gazebo,
> approximately 4m x 6m (ish), open sides (2 sides are sheltered, 2
sides w=
ill have
> standard issue outdoor curtains. The plan is for this to house my pool
ta=
ble outside for
> use during the summer months... There really isn't a big enough space
any=
where inside the
> house... In addition I have a half-plan to also house an electrically
rai=
sed & lowered
> platform, probably the full size of the internal dimension, upon which
I =
can leave my
> slot car track permanently set up for use... It's this last bit I'm
seeki=
ng inspiration
> for...
> I already have a suitable motor.. A Powercord curtain motor, which has
au=
tomatic limit
> stop, and is most certainly powerful enough to raise the weight..
> I plan for the motor to be housed way up in the apex of the roof
ridge, a=
nd via a system
> of ropes & pulleys be able to raise & lower the platform...
> When raised, the platform will become a false ceiling within the
gazebo, =
it will lower to
> the point it sits atop the pool table which will then become the base
for=
the platform.
>=20
> The motor has a single pulley wheel connected to the shaft, around
which =
the pull cord
> from a curtain track is meant to sit... I will need to use a cord
larger =
(stronger) than
> a normal thin curtain pull type I suspect...
>=20
> For stability, I think I should be looking at a cord attached to each
of =
the 4 corners of
> the platform, rather than a single cord, and I don't really want the
cord=
s to be "in the
> way" when the platform is lowered, so I think I want to take a
cord from =
each corner of
> the platform, and take it straight up the inside surface of each of
the 4=
main support
> legs, around a pulley mounted at the top of each leg... So far so
good...=
I now have 4
> cords I can pull on evenly to raise & lower the platform. I also
have a h=
alf idea that
> perhaps each corner of the platform could be fitted with a small wheel
wh=
ich runs inside
> a guide channel secured to (or routed into) the inside of the gazebo
legs=
, thus further
> restricting it's possible movement to straight up & down only...
>=20
> Where I'm struggling to conceptualise the mechanics, is how to get
those =
4 cords from
> each corner to a single motor shaft, such that the motor will spool
each =
one evenly...
> Anyone have any ideas or links to designs I can look at for
inspiration?
>=20
> My other as yet unresolved question is how to effect the limit stop on
th=
e lowering
> cycle... Raising limit stop is easy.... But how the get the motor to
stop=
once the
> platform is resting on the pool table?
>=20
> Anyone fancy a holiday in Oslo in the summer to help with
construction!?!=
:-)
>=20
> Sent from my iPad