Re: OT - Small office phone systems

On Tue, 2 Aug 2016, Alex Monaghan ha@xxxxxxx [ukha_d] wrote:

> Any idea of a rough cost for a simple small office phone system? A few
> lines in and probably 6-8 extensions? There are some BT handsets along
> with the current exchange, not sure if these can be re-used or are
part
> of a contract.

You might like to have a look at Free PBX and secondhand Cisco 7970 phones=
=20
or similar running SIP. We have over 10 phones running and once=20
configured, it works well. For each additional PSTN line, you would need a=
=20
FXO port or unit. We have two lines on two FXO units.

https://www.freepbx.org

Eventually, we'll move to a Cisco 2811 router with a 4-port FXO and ISDN=20
cards when we have the time to configure FReePBX. The 2811 is already=20
configured and working on PSTN but we haven't managed to configure the=20
FreePBX end correctly yet.

> It is for a charity, so tight budget.

The software is open source, very powerful, free and the once high-end=20
Cisco 7970 phone is around =C2=A350 each on eBay. They need to be
reflashed=
=20
from SCCP to SIP although I understand that there is a plug-in for SCCP on=
=20
FreePBX too but we haven't tried it.

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+phone+cisco+7970+SIP

> Being geeky, would be nice if it could take a SIP trunk to another
site
> allowing for site to site calls over the current VPN between sites,
nice
> but not essential.

FreePBX works well on SIP Trunk and there are a number of trunking=20
suppliers in the UK. With SIP trunking, there is no need for FXO.

Regards,

Kwong Li
li@xxxxxxx
Laser Business Systems Ltd.