Re: [OT] Battery Life / Clock

On Thu, 9 Oct 2014 11:16:44 +0100, you wrote:

>No HA related, but I know there's a wealth of technical knowledge here!
>
>My parents have a simple silver anniversary clock (the type with a
glass
>dome over it and it has the rotating balls at the bottom - this sort of
>thing Image result for silver anniversary clock)
>
>This has been fine for best part of 25 years, however, Dad changed the
>battery (as he's done every few years with no problem), it was a brand
>new Duracell which has the new integral tester which tests OK and the
>clock doesn't run. He took a used battery out of the remote control and
>the clock works.
>
>Any reason why the clock doesn't work with new batteries, but will work
>with used batteries?

I have a clock where Duracells don't work.   The reason is that the
body of the battery is fractionaly longer than an old fashioned
battery of the same type, and the compartment has sloped sides which
stop it making contact.

Fitting a 'carbon' type battery (i.e. non-alkaline) is the answer.

And you don't really need the current capability of a Duracell, the
carbon types are better at the trickle required by clocks.

My local Morrisons had these in stock, and they are cheaper than
Duracells.

Regards,
Harry.

Posted by: Harry Broomhall <haeb@xxxxxxx>