From: Nicholas Humfrey
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2014 06:54 am
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ukha_d] RE: Wireless Access Points?

If you have more then one access point in a house, a really nice feature
to=
have is roaming - so you can move about the house and devices automaticall=
y/ quickly move from one AP to another without dropping network
connections=
. This is a very common feature on 'enterprise' networks but less common
in=
homes. If you setup Apple APs with a network with the same name and securi=
ty setting, you can seamlessly move between them. I believe that the APs
ta=
lk to each other over the wired network to achieve this. I haven't had
much=
success with other brands of network hardware - such as Netgear.

Another thing I am a fan of (although not very compatible with Apple
Airpor=
t Express) to, as you have lots of Cat 5, is Power over Ethernet, so you
do=
n't need a mains socket in the remote locations of the APs.

nick.

On 23 Feb 2014, at 21:36, "Tracey Gardner" <tracey!
.gardner@xxxxxxx> =
wrote

Hello Alan
=A0
Yes I had already thought along those lines, except that I don't have the
w=
ired network up and running yet :-)
Its very much chicken and egg and I'll have to get the network running
befo=
re I can add the wireless access points :-)
At least I've got a few months to sort it out.
I'm sure that you're right when you ask if she only uses wireless as she
ca=
n't use it wired at home.
=A0
Many thanks