RE: Asterix at home

Yes a few people here use an IP PBX I think.

I use incredible PBX / PBX in a Flash / Free PBX (all part of the
incredible PBX distro) on a VMWare VM. Linked to that I have 2 x POTS lines
connected via SPA3000 devices with a Siemens Gigaset S685 IP DECT phone
system and an office desk phone (excellent Aastra 57i now called a 6757i or
something like that).

It was a steep learning curve when I set it up several years ago, but with
Incredible PBX and the later versions of Free PBX, it's a lot easier now.
The most complex part I think is the setup for the SPA3000.

I also have 5-6 Sipgate SIP numbers as trunks into the asterisk box - these
are really good as you can get a free number (local or geographic etc) and
only pay for outgoing calls - a couple of mine are incoming only (for
conference calls etc) so you don't pay anything for them!

With this setup, I have two businesses and a home phone system all run by
the same box and separate from each other. One of the businesses has
several remote workers who have the Gigaset phones connected through my
firewall into the system - works really well.

The Aastra phone (never explored the Cisco phones as at the time I read
about so many problems) is superb - it has a large LCD display and buttons
with BLF LED's which can be programmed (easily) to light on various events
such as VM received etc or when a line is in use. I guess it could also be
modified with the right XML / PHP code to hook into an HA system. I had
plans but never got around to it.

Would really recommend it - any questions, just ask.

Cheers,

Paul.