rack mounted power supply (12v/9v/usb)?

  • Subject: rack mounted power supply (12v/9v/usb)?
  • From: Kieran Broadfoot <kjb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 11:00:15 +0100

All this talk of APC masterswitches has reminded me of something I
have wanted to do for some time.  I am keen to remove all of the wall warts
from my comms cabinet.  They are all pretty inefficient and consuming
valuable power sockets.  As such I've been looking for a rack mounted power
supply which can provide a series of 12v, 9v and 5v/usb outputs on the
front (preferred) or back.  I've been able to find a number of solutions
that expose 12v only for CCTV distribution but I am looking for something
more flexible.

Has anyone found such a device?  or has anyone built their own?

My current thinking is to use a cheap rack mounted server chassis from ebay
with something like a seeed atx breakout board (http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/ATX_Breakout_Board)
but I am sure something more substantial is required.  It would be even
nicer if you could embed a small pi/arduino in the unit to power cycle each
output.  However this is not an area of skill for me.

Thoughts or advice would be appreciated
kieran

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums