driveway gate sensor suggestions...

Morning folks. Here's my problem...
We're staying at my parents place in Spain for 3 weeks looking after dogs
and the villa.  Panic set in the other night when i realised the electric
swing gates had been activated and one of the dogs had gone walkies.
Anyway, dog found, no harm done.

The problem is the gate remotes are incredibly sensitive, i now find myself
checking the gates are shut every hour...

Is anyone aware of a way of monitoring the gates 'status' remotely and
easily. I was hoping i could get something like a couple of PIR beam units,
reporting back to a wireless unit in the villa, maybe with audible alert?
There is no automation other that the electric swing gates here....maybe
they need some....

Any thoughts?
Colin

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums