Re: [Off Topic] Headphone Socket

Thanks Kevin, that's a plan I'd not thought of!

The (Sony) amp is a good few years old, I don't have the model number to
hand, but know there's a 4/8 ohm selector switch for speakers. I believe
it's set to 4 for the speakers supplied with it.

The Tx is indeed intended to plug into headphone jack.

(I'll Google "measuring impedance" to compare speakers and Tx).

Other than the obvious logic (you plug headphones in expecting speakers to
go silent) are you aware of any reason that powering speakers and
headphones simultaneously could be problematic?

Thanks!

R.

--
Rob Iles
Harmony Automation (www.domialifestyle.com)
<yahoogroupskh@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> **
>

> You could probably do this by getting at the wiring attached to the
> headphone jack (inside the chassis) .. to attach the RF transmitter.
> You could then retain a mute when inserted operation using a dummy
> headphone jack. It's probably not a good idea to attach to speaker
> outputs as they will expect a much lower impedance (4 or 8 ohms) and
> also potentially deliver quite a bit of power which might damage the
RF
> transmitter. I assume the transmitter is intended for headphone (not
> speaker) connection ?

> On 28/05/2013 12:20, Rob Iles wrote:
> > Hi again,
> >
> > I have some wireless headphones, for late night listening.
Nothing
> special,
> > just a RF transmitter that plugs into headphone socket on the
Amp.

> > When the jack is connected, the amp disconnects the speakers -
which is
> > usually desirable. However, I'd like to leave the transmitter
permanently
> > connected. Can I (with some cable work) connect the transmitter
to a
> > (spare/"2nd Zone") speaker output on the Amp, or is
there a big