Re: SPA 942 Admin reset

  • Subject: Re: SPA 942 Admin reset
  • From: "u7412ay" <yahoo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2013 20:05:58 -0000

Thanks Simon,

I have been doing some more digging. It looks like there is the option of
leaving the default/Linksys certificate on the phone or you can install a
client certificate.  You can guess which one mine has. I can't see what the
certificate says other than "Client certificate installed". My
plan is to call them tomorrow to see if they will help (thought I would
leave it on a Monday in case they are sorting out any weekend issues).
Failing that Apache with a self signed cert was my next step. I now realise
that not all providers lock the phones and with the admin password it can
be unlocked.  By default the phones are supplied with a blank admin
password so someone has set it. I found a similar link in the official
Cisco forums from their support people indicating there is no recovery but
alluding to the method I have been trying. I am sure there must be an
engineering way of resetting it with access to the PCB but haven't found
anything posted on the net.

The SPA962 is the next in the iteration and looks even nicer with full
colour screen but a bit pricier!

Cheers
Allan

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Simon Haslam <simon_haslam@...> wrote:

> > "an HTTPS request to secprov2.myphones.com  I suspect there
is no way I
> can spoof that because assumedly there will be certificate
issues"
> Looking at https://secprov2.myphones.com
you'll see its SSL/TLS certificate is not public - it is signed by Sipura
Technology Provisioning Root Authority 1. Perhaps the public key for this
certficate is installed on the phone's firmware - I wonder if/how that's
ever updated? (the secprov2 certificate has a 5 year span so perhaps the CA
one has something similar). As you say it might be worth setting up a
self-signed HTTPS server called secprov2.myphones.com (Apache or whatever).
myphones.com looks like some sort of white label VOIP outfit - they are UK
based though so wonder if it's worth trying to ask them (might be a long
shot though if they don't deal with the general public and you're not using
their service!).

> That phone looks good - I see some on Fleabay are described as
unlocked so you might think there was some fallback method...

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums