Re: SPA 942 Admin reset

  • Subject: Re: SPA 942 Admin reset
  • From: "u7412ay" <yahoo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2013 21:37:36 -0000

Well I made some progress having learnt a lot about DHCP and BOOTP.
The phone makes a DHCP request for an IP.  It then makes a DHCP request
with a parm list of about 13 different parameters it wants. Without those
being answered it just stops as you suggested. Having configured these in
OpenDHCP server it then did move on and did a DNS request to MYPHONES.COM
for the NTP service before the killer call.. an HTTPS request to
secprov2.myphones.com  I suspect there is no way I can spoof that because
assumedly there will be certificate issues. So not setup to use TFTP or
HTTP :(
I have installed a DNS server to point it back at my machine and may try an
Apache install.

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "u7412ay" <yahoo@...> wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>
> That is the article that I found and was following albeit using a Win7
machine with OpenDHCP and TFTPD32. Following your comments have gone back
and taken another look and have made some progress as I hadn't realised
that the Bootp type 66 record was in the DHCP response, I assumed it was a
follow on request but after some more reading about DHCP I see I have to
configure a "next server" in the DHCP config pointing at the TFTP
server which has solicited some more traffic from the phone so will go look
at the new trace to see what to setup next!

> Thanks
> Allan
>

> --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Nick Austin <nick.w.austin@> wrote:
> >
> > Allan,
> >
> > I've looked at google.
> >
> > My interpretation is that phone makes multiple low-level requests
ALL of
> > which must have a valid response before it will do TFTP.
> >
> > This seems to sum everything up:
> > http://community.linksys.com/t5/VoIP-Phones/SPA942-Factory-Reset-Via-Jumpers/m-p/294422#M6160
> >
> > Nick.
> >

> > On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 4:39 PM, u7412ay <yahoo@> wrote:
> >
> > > Hoping the group knowledge may be able to help here after
coming unstick
> > > with an e-bay buy.
> > >
> > > I have bought a Linksys SPA942 VOIP Phone.  Unfortunately
the phone has an
> > > Admin password which the seller doesn't know and isn't being
very helpful.

> > > As they are business phones it seems Linksys don't provide
any way to
> > > recover/reset this password. I assume to prevent people
taking the phones
> > > home and using them there.  I have spent a good few hours on
the web and
> > > the only suggestion I have found is a website where they
discussed one
> > > method where the phone potentually hunts for a TFTP server
to download a
> > > config, however having run a wireshark trace on mine all it
does on booting
> > > is a DHCP request for an IP address and nothing else. From
the web
> > > interface I can see the user settings so I can connect to
the phone fine.
> > > It also looks like the settings have all been wiped
althought there is a
> > > call history on the phone. Selecting option 14 on the menu
which is factory
> > > reset results in a prompt for the admin password.  Same on
the web
> > > interface for the phone.  I have tried a range of default
passwords such as
> > > 1234, 942, 123456789, 1111 etc.
> > >
> > > Have opened the phone up to look inside for any jumpers to
short out to
> > > reset nvram but can't see any.
> > >
> > > I have run out of ideas :(  Does anybody have any
experience/suggestions?