Re: SPA 942 Admin reset

  • Subject: Re: SPA 942 Admin reset
  • From: "u7412ay" <yahoo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2013 13:32:57 -0000

Hi Nick,

That is the article that I found and was following albeit using a Win7
machine with OpenDHCP and TFTPD32. Following your comments have gone back
and taken another look and have made some progress as I hadn't realised
that the Bootp type 66 record was in the DHCP response, I asumed it was a
follow on request but after some more reading about DHCP I see I have to
configure a "next server" in the DHCP config pointing at the TFTP
server which has solicited some more traffic from the phone so will go look
at the new trace to see what to setup next!

Thanks
Allan

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Nick Austin <nick.w.austin@...> wrote:

> Allan,
>
> I've looked at google.
>
> My interpretation is that phone makes multiple low-level requests ALL
of
> which must have a valid response before it will do TFTP.
>
> This seems to sum everything up:
> http://community.linksys.com/t5/VoIP-Phones/SPA942-Factory-Reset-Via-Jumpers/m-p/294422#M6160
>
> Nick.
>

> On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 4:39 PM, u7412ay <yahoo@...> wrote:
>
> > Hoping the group knowledge may be able to help here after coming
unstick
> > with an e-bay buy.
> >
> > I have bought a Linksys SPA942 VOIP Phone.  Unfortunately the
phone has an
> > Admin password which the seller doesn't know and isn't being very
helpful.

> > As they are business phones it seems Linksys don't provide any
way to
> > recover/reset this password. I assume to prevent people taking
the phones
> > home and using them there.  I have spent a good few hours on the
web and
> > the only suggestion I have found is a website where they
discussed one
> > method where the phone potentually hunts for a TFTP server to
download a
> > config, however having run a wireshark trace on mine all it does
on booting
> > is a DHCP request for an IP address and nothing else. From the
web
> > interface I can see the user settings so I can connect to the
phone fine.
> > It also looks like the settings have all been wiped althought
there is a
> > call history on the phone. Selecting option 14 on the menu which
is factory
> > reset results in a prompt for the admin password.  Same on the
web
> > interface for the phone.  I have tried a range of default
passwords such as
> > 1234, 942, 123456789, 1111 etc.
> >
> > Have opened the phone up to look inside for any jumpers to short
out to
> > reset nvram but can't see any.
> >
> > I have run out of ideas :(  Does anybody have any
experience/suggestions?