Re: Central heating boilers

BG? Seriously?
This was three years back, but I had a quote for a new gas boiler
(non-combi as I have solar panels) from BG. It was =A33.5K.
Another quote from an indi was =A32K for that exact same install. I went
wi=
th
a recommendation from a relation to another indi (ex-BG engineer) who
installed a better in his opinion boiler for =A31.5K. Which (touch wood)
ha=
been spot on for three years...

Lee

On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 4:03 PM, Martin Howell
<martin.howell@xxxxxxx>wrote:

> **
>

> Thanks to all who offered boiler suggestions, currently waiting for
the
> man from B Gas to come and give a quote in a couple of weeks. The old
> boiler has done a good job of heating the place and if it wasn't so
> unreliable I would keep it. It lives on a north facing wall so adding
> the weather comp won't be a problem, I guess its benefit depends on
how
> much Mr Gas charges for it. Watch this space.

> Martin Howell
> Woodworker, artist and engineer
>
> On 21/07/2013 21:42, Simon Haslam wrote:
> > I've got a Viessmann WB1B system boiler (there's a newer WB1C
version
> now) and have been v pleased with it - it has a long warranty (5 years
or
> so) and hasn't missed a beat (3 winters so far, serviced annually). I
had
> some questions for their technical support and they were superb - same
da=
> usually, even when referred back to Germany. They're still fairly
unusual
> in the UK I think - my plumbing firm sent one of their engineers on
the
> Viessmann training in Telford to get them certified (and for the
extended
> warranty). I did consider Keston as it would have been nice to use a
> British manufacturer and their specs looked OK, but sadly read nothing
bu=
> trouble about them online. Vaillant was on my short-list too -
definitely
> more plumbers know them but they didn't have an OpenTherm interface
(whic=
> was on my HA wish-list, though as yet unused!). I think having
something
> that your plumber will be familiar/happy with is important - in that
> respect Worcester
> > Bosch is probably most common.
> >
> > I've also got weather compensation, plus my HA system can switch
in an
> additional resistor (using a 1-wire controlled relay) to lower the
flow
> temp further. If you compare the performance charts you will see a 10%
or
> more (IIRC) difference in efficiency at something like 70C flow
compared =
> 40C (UFH) IIRC and so there are gains to be made. The benefit probably
> partly depends on whether you can be bothered turning down/up the
boiler
> output between autumn/spring and winter though. Weather compensation
is
> built into the Viessmann circuit board (this is their entry level too)
bu=
> you need to buy their thermistor/cable assembly, though it wasn't a
> ludicrous price (~=A320 I think) - providing you can get a cable to a
nor=
th
> facing wall it seems pointless to scrimp on it. I think with a better
> insulated house the gain from weather compensation should be better
than =
an
> old house too as you don't need a high output to change the
temperature,
> only to maintain
> > temperature in very cold weather. I can't remember if weather
comp is i=
> the building regs for new build yet but I expect it will be soon.
> >
> > Anyway, my new heating system made a huge saving on gas usage
(~50%) bu=
> that was due to a lot of factors other than just the boiler (re-siting
th=
> boiler in the middle of the house & moving the pipes out of the
loft,
> having a small condensing boiler instead of a 10 year old F-rated
oversiz=
ed