Re: Drilling Blanking Plates?

I drilled some recently, and they are difficult to drill without
chipping.
However, I then borrowed a pillar drill, which makes it really easy to
drill straight, and I also got the lend of some core drill bits that look
like these:
http://xinxing.en.made-in-china.com/productimage/BvHEJVwyAxko-2f0j00MSRQvYl=
BbroK/China-HSS-Core-Drill-Bit-Weldon-Shank-.html

They made a perfect hole every time, and I'd recommend trying to get your
hands on one.

HTH

Regards

Simon
---
10 out of 10 people die.
Are you ready?
Find out at: http://Luke-15.org/Jesus/ <http://luke-15.org/Jesus/>
Please consider this as there is nothing more important.

On 15 July 2013 05:50, Dave McLaughlin
<dave_mclaughlin@xxxxxxx>wrote=
:

> I'll back you up on that Rob. A step drill in your tool box is a great
> thing
> to have. It even works great on thin sheet metal etc. Far less chance
of =
it
> catching and breaking the plate.
>
> I used to have 2 different sizes (wish I still had them now) and they
wer=
> not cheap but they are worth it if you plan to do a lot of large
holes.
> Even
> the small one for doing, say 10mm holes, is far better than a 10mm
drill
> bit.
>

> Dave...

hol=
> the plastic melted, rendering the grinding bit useless, the motor on
the
> (cheap) dremel style device burned out, and 3rd attempt (new bit, new
> tool),
> the bit "caught" and fractured the plate. :-(
>
> A stepped drill bit did the job in the end!
>
> I have some very nice momentary contact push buttons for sale if
anyone i=