RE: Central heating boilers

I'd second what Geoff says - I don't have a boiler any more (off mains
gas
and rural location so I fitted a heat pump instead) but I do see a lot of
boilers in my day job (residential high-end heating controls and home
automation) and find that the two brands mentioned are generally well made
and reliable, but also have a decent network of maintenance engineers for
when things do go wrong. They also offer decent extended warranties
providing they are supplied/installed and maintained by approved suppliers.

If you have radiator-based heating and the right kind of building (not
extremely well insulated/air-tight where the heating response is quite some
way delayed from instantaneous outside temperature fluctuations) then
weather-compensation can offer savings if you don't have a better control
system available. Depending on how you use the house, you may get better
value (better energy savings and improved comfort) from improved zone
controls, especially if they use adaptive time-proportioning control (where
the rates of temperature change are constantly monitored and the control of
the zone valves are pulsed/cycled to match the actual room heat demand).
Keeping rooms you don't use on a daily basis (if you have any, such as
guest
bedrooms) set back while the rooms you do use are at higher comfort levels
can be useful. With room-by-room zoning you also ensure that the heating
effects of each room only influence that room, rather than the typical
scenario of having a single stat for the house, often in the hall where no
one spends any time! Mind you if you need very little heating at all then
controls become less beneficial as it really takes human input to determine
when and how much heat might be needed in super-insulated houses, and when
heat is needed it is so little that spending a fortune on clever controls
would be counter-productive.

Neil B.