Re: ANPR Software for Gate control

Interesting....is the ANPR functionality in Geovision now included
free
? Previously it was an additional significant cost licence to buy.   If
it's now included I'll have to dig out my GV card and have a play if my
card is supported..

I'd been looking for a similar thing for a long while too but the ANPR
software is always very expensive, or really limited, . working on
Lichenstein format number plates only ...

You do need special camera's to get good results -  IR sensitive and the
ability to handle head on headlamp glare which typically saturates
cameras.  If you're vehicles are slow moving it's easier as you don't
need high scan rates,   which for a gate application would be the case.

I once found an online service which accepts jpeg images and returns you
the licence plate number in near realtime. The company was based in
Scandanavia and still evolving the system.  It was charged per image but
I decided it was still to expensive.. Something like 50p/image from memory.

In the end after nearly two years of laborious eBay trawling I found a
second hand camera with inbuilt UK format ANPR recognition engine...  It
outputs via IP / RS232 serial the registrations. Horrendously expensive
when new and still pretty outrageous used - more than the cost Paul
mentions below, but I bit the bullet as I'd searched fruitlessly so
long.   It's one of the motorway type speed cameras (not stolen
surprisingly) but has old firmware on it.  These things are intended to
be perpetually under a maintenance contract with the manufacturer but
their costs are so ridiculous to update the firmware or even chat about
support without a contract that I've just used it as it is.

I actually have just got a second supposedly working one from the same
guy but it has what I hope is just a configuration issue causing the
camera to reboot periodically. They're Linux based. which is not
familiar ground for me.  My first camera did this too but I somehow
fixed that and it's worked fine ever since. Unfortunately I can't
remember what the problem was. I thought it was an obscure IP
configuration issue with the time server but that seems correct.  It
only arrived last month and I'll be playing some more with this when/if
I get a moment.

On 02/01/2013 15:23, Paul Gordon wrote:
> Depends largely on your definition of expensive I should think...
>
> Geovision do ANPR, and the software is free, but you need a recent
model geovision card to use it... I think you're looking in the region of
£600 for said card... About £120 per property... Are
all your neighbours  prepared to chip in to that extent?

wrote:

>> Has anyone got any experience in low cost ANPR software
>>
>> I live in a complex of five properties which have a set of
electric gates controlled by key fob and key pad.

>> It struck me that using a PC or mac mini and a camera if there was
some low cost ANPR software we could program our reg numbers and friends
numbers and gates could then open.