Re: Is it cheaper to leave your heating on?

  • Subject: Re: Is it cheaper to leave your heating on?
  • From: "Howard" <howardsixtynine@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 09:03:40 -0000

But even with the best insulation available, it surely has to require
more energy to keep something at a constant temperature than to let it cool
down and warm up again? It might not be much more, but it has to be more,
doesn't it?

I was hoping someone on here would have recorded their energy use and tried
different regimes. Looks like I might have to do it myself, curiosity is
getting the better of me...

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Tim Hawes <timsyahoo@...> wrote:

> I don't think it's quite as clear cut as that and, as usual, the
answer is,
> "it depends".
> It depends on:
>  - the level of insulation (walls, doors, windows, roof & floor)
>  - a degree of air-tightness (draughtproofing)
>  - the type of building construction (lightweight e.g. timber frame or
> heavy-weight / high thermal mass)
>  - the length of time the house is unoccupied
>  - the type of heating system you have (radiators, underfloor heating
> buried in screed, hot air system, etc.) as this will affect the
warm-up time

> Taking an example to extremes, it will be very costly to keep a
draughty,
> uninsulated shed warm throughout the day however a well-insulated, air
> tight building will fare much much better. Furthermore, with the well
> insulated house, even though the heating is "on" at the
timeclock, the
> better thermal performance will mean that when heat is called for it
won't
> need to be delivered for as long.
>
> HTH,
> Tim.