Re: Is it cheaper to leave your heating on?

I don't think it's quite as clear cut as that and, as usual, the
answer is,
"it depends".
It depends on:
- the level of insulation (walls, doors, windows, roof & floor)
- a degree of air-tightness (draughtproofing)
- the type of building construction (lightweight e.g. timber frame or
heavy-weight / high thermal mass)
- the length of time the house is unoccupied
- the type of heating system you have (radiators, underfloor heating
buried in screed, hot air system, etc.) as this will affect the warm-up
time

Taking an example to extremes, it will be very costly to keep a draughty,
uninsulated shed warm throughout the day however a well-insulated, air
tight building will fare much much better. Furthermore, with the well
insulated house, even though the heating is "on" at the
timeclock, the
better thermal performance will mean that when heat is called for it won't
need to be delivered for as long.

HTH,
Tim.

On 27 February 2013 09:01, Howard <howardsixtynine@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've heard this a few times, and it sounds like an old wives tale to
me.
> Apparently it can use less energy leaving your heating on all the time
than
> if you have it on a timer. Basic physics says this is rubbish, but
there is
> something about it keeping condensation out of the walls and so
improving
> their insulation.
>
> If there's anyone out there who has good data to confirm or disprove
this,
> it'll be someone on Automated Home. Have any of you tried it out and
got
> some conclusive results?
>
> Thanks
> Howard