Re: Odd network problem!

Rob,

How big is the switch? Bigger Netgears have big PSU's with big caps. I'd
just power it down for 60 secs at the wall.
I've had this a couple of times with one particular 24 port GS724 switch,
due to electricians monkeying around in the building. The lights flicker
and several of the ports crash, while others continue to work fine.

The other issue if it's a smaller switch with a wall wart PSU, is that the
PSU may be on it's way out.

Lee

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 9:58 AM, Joseph Heenan
<joseph-l@xxxxxxx>wrote:

> **
>

> That sounds pretty freaky.
>
> Not sure I'm going to come up with anything more insightful than
you'll
> have already thought of, but here's a few options:
>
> 1. Replace the cable, possibly with STP
> 2. Replace the switch
> 3. Replace the router
> 4. Replace the vacuum cleaner
> 5. Add mains filters before the switch/router
>
> Is there any chance there's a third device connected to the switch
that
> is somehow involved?
>
> Does connecting another switch in place of the netgear bring up the
link
> okay?
>
> The fact that connecting a laptop makes a difference is weird. Did you
> eliminate that it's not just a timing thing? ie. if you leave
everything
> off for as long as it would take you to do all 6 steps does it
recover?
> I presume "reboot" means a hard power cycle, with at least
15 seconds
> without power?
>
> Joseph
>

> On 18/02/2013 23:00, Rob Iles wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'm looking to pick your collective brains!
> >
> > I have a BT Home Hub 3. Plugged into this (GigE port) is a
~15Metre Cat5
> > cable that runs to a Netgear 10/100/1000 switch. All works
fine...

> > Until we use one particular vacuum cleaner (Henry). Regardless of
which
> > power socket the cleaner is plugged into, using it causes the
link light
> on
> > the switch to turn off. Rebooting switch / router /modem (BT
Infinity) do