Re: After the horse has bolted....

  • Subject: Re: After the horse has bolted....
  • From: "Derek Holtham" <derek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2013 11:13:59 -0000

Hi Mark

Don't know if it's too late to help, but I'm a HomeSeer user and I decided
to install a DSC alarm system, which integrates well with HomeSeer.

I bought my DSC equipment from http://www.zwave-products.co.uk.

I've got a Control Panel, internal and external alarm bells, 2 wireless
keypads, 6 wireless sensors, 6 smoke alarms and 4 door sensors. I use the
IT-100 integration module which connects via serial port to my HomeTroller.

Whilst there is a HomeSeer DSC plugin, I use Blade's DSC plugin instead,
since it seemed to work better as I recall. HomeSeer emails me and my
partner if the alarm goes off, and I also get emails every time the alarm
is set or unset.

Whilst I basically installed all the DSC kit myself, after a bit of hunting
around, i found a local alarm company with DSC experience to finally
commission the system and give me a maintenance contract, so that i could
tell my insurance company it was professionally installed and maintained.

I've also installed a few Zwave motion/luminance/temperature sensors, which
in theory I could probably get to trigger the DSC alarm, but not got around
to doing that yet.

I've also got a CCTV system (from http://www.cctvdirect.co.uk, who
were brilliant to deal with). I opted for the XDH8 Compact DVR and 8 wired
cameras. The CCTV recorder has an ethernet port and software so that I can
monitor it from anywhere over the internet or via my iPhone. Not really
integrated with my HomeSeer (not spent any time figuring out if I could!)
but not a problem for me.

Regards

Derek

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Mark Gardner"  wrote:

> Hi Colin
>
> What I did not say is that I already have some zwave kit controlled
through Homeseer (just lighting control in the house so far)

> For now, I have installed a zwave PIR, siren and strobe in the garage.
Through Homeseer, the strobe / siren or the interior lights come on when
the PIR is triggered dependent on whether or not a virtual alarm device is
set on or off. The Virtual Alarm device is turned on / of via MobilLinc iOS
app / Homeseer. Exterior low wattage lights are also Homeseer / zwave
controlled and turn on/off at sunset/sunrise or thereabouts.

> I have not gone with CCTV yet.
>
> As everything is logged via Homeseee, at least I will now know when if
the toe rags decided to visit again.

> More is planned.... Jury still out on Comfort...
>
> I find zwave to be ultra reliable.
>
> Cheers
> Mark
>
> On 3 Feb 2013, at 15:54, "colinglover@..."  wrote:
>
> > Hi Mark, what did you do in the end?
> >
> > Colin
> >
> > --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Mark Gardner"  wrote:
> >>
> >> Having played host to some thieving *******s in my garage
recently it's time to revisit my alarm.

> >> Is Comfort still the home automator's top choice?
> >>
> >> I will be able to cable some, but not all PIRs, so some will
have to be wireless. The garage is not connected to the house and getting
Ethernet out there is not straightforward, so that will have to be
wireless. I would like a couple of sirens, one regular on the house, and
another inside the garage when that's entered. Clearly the garage alarm
needs to be on more than that in the rest of the house, so I guess I need
some form of zones to achieve that. Planning to replace garage doors with
something more secure, and quite possibly powered. I will be wanting to
turn on some lights.

> >> Also looking for a CCTV camera. I can run an Ethernet to
where I want to put it so no need for that to be wireless.