Re: LIFX WfFi enabled light bulb

  • Subject: Re: LIFX WfFi enabled light bulb
  • From: "keyvan2r" <k1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2013 11:35:59 -0000

There is some doubt expressed about this product

http://blogs.reuters.com/felix-salmon/2012/09/18/kickstarter-vaporware-of-the-day-lifx-edition/
Some of the scepticism seems justified.
The author comments on other kickstarter backed  light bulbs which never
got made. Apparently it's not just a case of getting a prototype into
production   Lights are a bit different in the certification they
require...?
I suppose by going all wifi they will also avoid zigbee license issues -
which the author says is another stumbling block for the product.
It will be interesting to see how it turns out. I hope the product makes it
to market

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Kyle Gordon  wrote:

> I read that as saying "All bulbs support wifi, but one will
nominate itself
> as the IPv4 to IPv6 gateway". Gone is the old plan to use a
slightly-custom
> mesh.
>
> http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/limemouse/lifx-the-light-bulb-reinvented/posts/338582contains
> the announcement.
>
> - Master/Slave- be gone! Every LIFX bulb can now be a GATEWAY (power
to the
> WiFi chips will be toggled as required). For clarity: there will now
only
> be one type of LIFX bulb (WiFi chip in all).
>

> On 1 February 2013 09:48, Stuart Poulton  wrote:
>
> > In which case they need to update they're webpage
> >
> > "Only the master smart-bulb has an IP address. Our aim is to
use IPV6 to
> > control the bulbs but we want to do further testing on this.
Doing so would

wrote:

> > http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/new-products/lifx-is-amazing-new-wifi-ip-led-multi-colour-light-bulb.html

remainder use a low