Re: Does the following landline phone exist?

Thx Richard,

You know more than BT staff do!
Rang them a while ago.  After 7 or 8 sets of options, the automated voice
told me there is a technical problem, ring back later, goodbye.
Second time around I got to speak to a real person!
Asked them the difference between 'no caller ID' and 'number withheld' and
was told they were the same!  Such a lot of help... not.  :-(
My understanding is the exchange has the phone number for 'withheld' but
doesn't pass it on and the exchange has no number for 'no caller ID'.

Cheers
Andy
PS: email me off group what you've been up to.  Been down any secret
bunkers?

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Richard Challis <richard@...> wrote:

> Hi Andy,
>
> prefix the number with 1470    -
> http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7693/~/141-and-1470
>
> (I know the url is BT business, but it works for domestic)
>
> Cheers
>
> Richard
>
> On 17 April 2013 16:34, Andy <andywhitfield2002@...> wrote:
> >
> > Do you know if it is possible to do the opposite?
> > Where someone has CLI disabled for all calls, can they enter a
number to enable the CLI for just one call?

wrote:

> > > FYI ex directory just means that his number isn't listed in
the directory, he can still send CLI if he wishes, either by disabling it
for all calls or on a call by call basis. (We are ex directory, but aren't
paranoid about hiding CLI, so it is sent for all call our calls.)

<andywhitfield2002@> wrote:

> [...]
directory numbers to get through to me.  My father is ex directory, so it
is rather important to have this feature.

wrote:

> [...]
phone exist?

they are ringing me Saturday and Sunday!
service.  And have been for years.  But doesn't stop the buggers!

do the following.......

is in the phone's 'address book' then the phone rings as normal.  I can
either pick up or let it go to answer phone.

book' or is blank (as with most cold calling) then the phone SILENTLY
answers the call and plays a pre-recorded message along the lines of
"Your number has not been recognised.  Please enter your 4 digit
PIN".
directory, I would give them individual PINs (probably last 4 digits of
their phone number).  The PINs would be in the phone's 'address book'.  So
when they enter their PIN, the phone would then ring as normal.

message would play giving the caller an alternative method of contact.
E.G. a throw away email address.
default PIN and go straight to answer phone.  Cold callers tend to hang
straight up and not leave messages.

(no rings, beeps clicks, etc) and I don't get interrupted by them.  Only
genuine callers will get through.  And if a genuine caller doesn't have a
PIN or isn't programmed in the phone's address book' then they can either
contact me by email (which I get within 5 minutes on my mobile phone) or
perhaps enter a default PIN and leave a message on the answer phone
(depending on how I've set up the phone).

can set up the 'address book' etc via my laptop.  Plus look at the logs of
missed calls (which hopefully will be all cold callers!).

caller ID is in the phone's 'address book' but it doesn't do the second bit
of allowing ex directory callers to enter a PIN.
all 3 points above?

removed]