Re: Does the following landline phone exist?

On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 12:04:05 -0000, "Andy"
<andywhitfield2002@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>Does the following landline phone exist?
>
>I get 5+ cold calls per week day.  Plus now they are ringing me
Saturday and Sunday!
>I'm registered with the telephone preference service.  And have been
for years.  But doesn't stop the buggers!

>So I'm looking for a landline phone that can do the following.......
>
>For INCOMING calls....
>1) If the incoming call has a caller ID and it is in the phone's
'address book' then the phone rings as normal.  I can either pick up or let
it go to answer phone.

>2) If the caller ID isn't in the 'address book' or is blank (as with
most cold calling) then the phone SILENTLY answers the call and plays a
pre-recorded message along the lines of "Your number has not been
recognised.  Please enter your 4 digit PIN".
>    For friends and relatives who are ex directory, I would give them
individual PINs (probably last 4 digits of their phone number).  The PINs
would be in the phone's 'address book'.  So when they enter their PIN, the
phone would then ring as normal.

>3) Where the caller doesn't have a PIN then a message would play giving
the caller an alternative method of contact.  E.G. a throw away email
address.
>    Or perhaps ask the caller to enter a default PIN and go straight to
answer phone.  Cold callers tend to hang straight up and not leave
messages.

>The idea is cold callers get answered silently (no rings, beeps clicks,
etc) and I don't get interrupted by them.  Only genuine callers will get
through.  And if a genuine caller doesn't have a PIN or isn't programmed in
the phone's address book' then they can either contact me by email (which I
get within 5 minutes on my mobile phone) or perhaps enter a default PIN and
leave a message on the answer phone (depending on how I've set up the
phone).

It's not a phone itself, but it sounds like the Truecall unit is
almost exactly what you are looking for. It lets through numbers on
your whitelist, but rather than requiring a PIN for other numbers the
caller is simply told something like "If you are not a cold caller,
press 5".

>Ideally the phone should have a USB port so I can set up the 'address
book' etc via my laptop.  Plus look at the logs of missed calls (which
hopefully will be all cold callers!).

Not sure if Truecall has USB setup. I think the idea is that you press
* when you receive a call if you want to whitelist that number, but
I'm fairly sure it also has a means of setting up an initial list.

HTH,
David

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums