Re: High broadband usage - why?

Many thanks guys,

SmartMonitor looks just the ticket. Can I run it on one of my
"networked
PCs" or do I need to dedicate a machine to it? I can dedicate a box if
needed but would prefer to install only once if poss. I guess I will also
need to sit a temporary wireless AP & switch off one of the Vigor's
ports
to take the place of how I use the Vigor currently (i.e. migrate my
"networked PCs" to this new router). If the new switch/AP
captures all
wireless traffic then this should be reported by SM, yes?

I had found the in-built data flow monitor and while it's good for
at-the-moment monitoring I was hoping to build up a picture of usage over
days/weeks.
Yes, I do have Skype installed but I thought it was set to not auto-run
when Windows boots-up; I will check!

Cheers,
Tim.

wrote:

> > No idea if it's worth seeing if this would work on your router -
> > suspect that it's possibly restricted to the Non-ADSL routers
> though...
> >
> > http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/SmartMonitor.html
> >
> > Phil

Sunday
> > eve) and already this month we've used over 4GB !!!
> > Last night 14 sessions were "active" although with next
to no
> > bandwidth consumed, but why aren't they silent.
> >
> > We don't have an online TV/movies subscription and don't do
anything
> > "fancy"; mostly web browsing and email. The kids do
like iPlayer and
> > youtube, but can these really be responsible for the high
download
> usage?
> >
> > How can I monitor what is eating up the download allowance?
Ideally
> > something that can report usage by website by device, so I can
> > determine whether it's an iTouch, desktop PC, a rouge device
> > interloping on my allowance, or a dodgy application that is
chatting
> > way
> too much.
> > And of course, ideally free and easy to set up ;-)
> >
> > Router is a Vigor 2820n if that helps with any solutions.
> >
> > All thoughts welcome.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Tim.

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums