From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx [mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of P=
aul Gordon
Sent: 25 September 2012 21:34
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ukha_d] CBUS problem, can I bounce an idea off you...

That reading was taken at the input to the CBUS unit in question... Which
i=
s right at the top of the house in the attic, - about as far away from the
=
consumer unit as its possible to get...

I need to take another reading in the kitchen, where there is another
relay=
module that's also very flaky... It's a lot closer to the consumer unit, a=
nd I just stood and looked at it for a few minutes, and I could see it
flit=
ting on and off... Every now & then it would wake up for a few
seconds... T=
he 2 LEDs would come on for a little while, & then off again...   Which
aga=
in would seem to fit the theory if the voltage there is just a wee bit
high=
er and the unit is right on the edge of where it will work...

Paul G

Sent from my iPad

On 25 Sep 2012, at 20:58, "Nigel Giddings" <nigel@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

> If you can believe Wikipedia:
>=20
>=20
>=20
> In the UK electricity is supplied at 230 V +10% - 6% (BS 7671
Appendix=20
> 2 section 14. )
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Which I calculate to be 230 =E2=80=93 13.8  =3D 216.2 as the minimum
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Your 196v is very low. Is this read at the point of supply (the
meter)=20
> or somewhere else?
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Nigel
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
unreliability=20
> with my CBUS install.. At first it was quite rare, the very first=20
> problem happened about a month ago, but as time has passed it has=20
> become more and more frequent, and it's been driving me nuts.
>=20
> In a nutshell, almost every one of my output units intermittently=20
> fails completely. meaning I cannot switch any lights or appliances
on=20
> that module on or off.
>=20
> Most of my output units include a power supply, so my initial
thought=20
> of a network power issue seemed unlikely. When the problem occurs,=20
> neither the CBUS or UNIT led's are on, and the local channel
override=20
> buttons on the unit do not function - for all intents and purposes
the=20
> unit appears completely dead. But the thing is if I scan the
network=20
> with CBUS Toolkit, the unit appears, and reports its CBUS voltage=20
> (30.2V in this case.) - and yet NOTHING is working. - I'm looking
at=20
> one right now. physically it is dead, but it is talking to toolkit.
>=20
> On all occasions when this occurs, it seems to just
"magically" fix=20
> itself after some period of time, which can be anything from minutes
to h=
ours.
>=20
> I have just started to formulate a theory, based on a few
observations.
>=20
> CBUS Toolkit is not showing the Line/Mains Present indicator for
the=20
> units that are currently "dead".
>=20
> I just measured the mains voltage supply at the input to the
module..=20
> - its currently reading a mere 196VAC on my multimeter.
>=20
> The local power supplier has had the mains off in the area for
several=20
> hours today, - following a letter I received about a week ago=20
> informing me it would be off today for essential repair work following
pr=
oblems in the area.
>=20
> Now it all starts to make sense.
>=20
> All this time I've been tearing my hair out because of the=20
> intermittent and sporadic nature of the behaviour. - that pretty
much=20
> seemed to logically rule out most types of hardware and/or cabling=20
> failure. - although that hasn't stopped me crawling around the=20
> attic/cellar etc. trying to find a break in the CBUS network cable
(I=20
> thought maybe a mouse was chewing through it somewhere) - but the
fact=20
> the none of the input units *ever* had a problem confused me even more
wi=
th the theory of a CBUS network problem.
>=20
> I think the fact that my problems only started about a month ago,
and=20
> the letter from the leccy co can't be coincidental. - I'm thinking=20
> there must have started to be a low voltage condition on and off. -=20
> based on local demand perhaps? - the problems always seemed to be
worse i=
n the evening.
>=20
> Also adding to the confusion, is that if I'm right, and this *IS*=20
> caused by my mains supply being undervoltage, - absolutely nothing=20
> else electrical in the house has exhibited any kind of problem at
all.=20
> - it's exclusively, and only CBUS output units that don't like it.
>=20
> Looking at the manual for the units, it does specify supply voltage=20
> 220-240V
> - Mine is currently well under.
>=20
> So my question is this. - on the CBUS units *with* power supply,
I'm=20
> guessing it must be true that the CBUS circuitry in that unit can=20
> still function on CBUS network power coming from other powered
units..=20
> - even if the unit isn't on the mains itself. - my observations
suggest t=
his is true.
> - which is why it still talks to toolkit, as some other units in=20
> different parts of the house are still "alive" and supplying
CBUS network=
power.
>=20
> Does anyone know if the CBUS output units really *are* that
sensitive=20
> to variations in mains supply? - and if so, might it be true that=20
> units without a CBUS power supply are LESS sensitive? - because it=20
> seems to be the case that I've never had a problem with a couple of
units=
that lack a PSU.