From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx [mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Simon
Haslam
Sent: 12 September 2012 12:33
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ukha_d] GAS Usage Monitoring ?

Nice! Having a reed switch ready to go seems ideal and will save a lot of
faff with photodiodes and the like.

I bought this counter http://www.hobby-boards.com/store/products/Dual-Counter.html
last year (just to sit on a shelf of course). It's got two inputs and I
assume you'd just connect the reed switch between the input and 5V or
ground (I've not looked up which). Don't know whether it would need
de-bouncing - hopefully not - so minimal electronics skills needed.

The counter is 1-wire so you could then use a 1-wire to USB adaptor and
something like OWFS to collect readings - shouldn't take long to set up.
You'd need to run a 1-wire/cat 5 from your meter housing to a
PC/NAS/RasPi/etc running OWFS though.

HTH

Simon

<*> Join the Automated Home Forums