RE: connecting up 1 wire ?

Stuart,

Thanks for the reply.. I remember seeing posts on your initial discussions
etc on the forum..

Your boards look to be a custom version of the simple "Y"
connectors I mentioned, only instead of a third RJ45 you've provided
connections allowing the sensor to be soldered directly to the board. I can
see that it includes the resistor (I assume this is the 100ohm one to stop
reflections?) although I'm not sure what the jumper does ?

I can see how these work really well if you've planned exactly where you
want devices and dragged the wire to those exact points etc. In my case I
have no idea what I might want , at the moment it's just the Gas Meter and
a thermometer in the hallway (although probably a thermometer in each room
eventually). My idea was to have a connector that would 'T' into the main
bus cable and then allow me to run a single cat5 cable to the point I
wanted the sensor (although internally to the cat5 cable it would be doing
the same as running two cables i.e. extending the bus). This way it uses
less connectors (points of potential failure) and means I only have to
route a single cable to the sensor. For an example, imagine I decide to use
a 1wire door lock (does one even exist?) , it would be far easier to run a
single cat cable from the 1 wire cable under the floor to the door frame
than two cat5 cables.

Out of interest, how much did it cost to have your boards made ?

Maybe I'm just making this too complicated.. I think I should give myself
time to mull it over :)

Marcus