Re: Node 0 - SSD issues

Simon, what do you meanby disk alignment?  ive not heard of this
before.  I=
t was a fresh install of Win7, so hopefully that has helped.

Server has been running win7 for about 24 hours now, and appears to be
stab=
le, even through all the reboots for windows updates.  Maybe my problem
was=
jsu down to no trim support in XP?

Intresting article about WD spin down - I read that the WD green disks
aren=
t suitable for 24/7 running, i've just had a WD Red 2TB delivered,
aparantl=
y then are designed for 24/7 use?

Colin

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Simon Haslam <simon_haslam@...> wrote:

> Yes, consumer ones probably are :(
>=20
>=20
> TRIM support is important, as is checking disk alignment and making
sure =
you run the latest firmware. When you move to SSD in your Win 7 laptop be
s=
ure to use a cloning tool that gets the correct alignment. If you do a
clea=
n Win 7 install it knows about SSD and will set the correct options.
>=20
>=20
> I've recently had a 512GB Crucial m4 fail in a work laptop after about
12=
months - Crucial replaced it under warranty with a brand new drive but I'v=
e chosen to put that in a far less critical lab server and install an
Intel=
520 in my laptop as Intel seems to have a better reputation for reliabilit=
y.
>=20
> I'm not sure I'd want an SSD for a home server yet - yes, they will be
be=
tter for power consumption especially given it's 24/7 but could cause a
ser=
ious downgrade to WAF ;-)
> As an aside, something I only found out recently: the Western Digital
Gre=
en disks have a default timeout in firmware that can cause the disk to
spin=
down very frequently (see the SMART LCC value) under certain usage pattern=
s, causing the disk to fail prematurely. See http://www.storagereview.com/h=
ow_to_stop_excessive_load_cycles_on_the_western_digital_2tb_caviar_green_wd=
20ears_with_wdidle3
>=20
> Just my opinion based on limited experience...
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Simon
>=20
>=20
>=20
> ________________________________
my =
server (running XP) with an OCZ Vertex SSD.  10 months later, the OS
starte=
d freezing, which became more frequent until it eventually wouldn't boot.
=
Various disk daig tools failed to recognise the disk at all.  Amazon
refund=
ed, i bought a new SSD, chosing Crucial this time, and this has worked
fine=
until this week, when the OS started freezing again.  disk diags are not s=
howing any issues.
>=20
> Cruial's helpdesk said XP isnt great with SSD's as there is no 'trim
supp=
ort', and the crucial SSD doesnt come with any utilities to ensure optimum
=
drive health.
>=20
> I've bought a Samsung SSD, as i want to have 2 x OS SSD's mirrored, to
gi=
ve me a level of redundancy.
>=20
> But with 2 failures within 15 months, im either very unlucky, or doing
so=
mething wrong.
>=20
> I have upgraded to Win7 this morning, hoping that would help resolve
the =
issues with the Crucial SSD, however, it's still flakey (i havent
introduce=
d the new Samsung SSD yet as i wanted to see if the problem was purely
down=
to XP on the Crucial).
>=20
> The server is well ventiated, temps are around 35-40c.
>=20
> reliability is key here, as im far to lazy to walk round the house
turnin=
g lights off before bed!
>=20
> Any thoughts?